captive basin waste - rubber swollen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently started fitting these instead of 'click clack' type of pop up wastes.

upload_2020-8-27_9-27-54.png

Worked a treat out the box, but after a few months use - the rubber has swollen to the point where the plug will not flip round to seal.

270820203443.jpg

Is there a way to shrink the rubber back ? I am sure nothing apart from soaps have been used in the sink. Some one has suggested boiling water, but surely that would only be temporary.

Can anyone shed light on what type of rubber will be used in this plug seal, and can the rubber be replaced.

Sponsored Links
It'll be a simple silicone rubber seal/o-ring I would think. Getting one the same size/diameter will be the hard part I would think. Is it a hard water area?
Have you tried a little silicone grease?

Something other than soap has caused the rubber to swell, if it wasn`t a cleaner then perhaps mouthwash? I doubt if you can replace the rubber seal and may have to replace the whole thing.

A boiled kettle of water allowed it to close, but its been left for a few hours and although it closes - its really stiff.

Will try some Silicone grease !

I doubt if you can replace the rubber seal and may have to replace the whole thing.
I reckon some measuring calipers and Ebay might locate at least something near if I can get the 'rotating' plug bit out.

Sponsored Links
Have applied a little Silicone Grease from our vans grease gun, closes a treat - not sure how long it will stay coated/in contact to lubricate.

Thought I was going to have to apply the same grease to a very sticky sliding shower door, but discovered some donkey onsite had installed the door upside down ... have rotated them 180 and now they slide gracefully, even without any lube.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back