Car Engine oil in new Lawnmower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Old lawnmower ran on Ford semi synthetic 5/30 motor oil for its seven year life, without a single oil change, its demise was (i think) piston ring failure as it was burning oil badly and smoking like a trooper. So with my new lawnmower ( a £150 B&Q briggs engined job) should i use dedicated mower oil this time , or just use the Ford semi synth or any other good quality car engine oil again and maybe treat it to an oil change every couple of years or so.....

Sponsored Links
... without a single oil change, its demise was (i think) piston ring failure as it was burning oil badly and smoking like a trooper.
perhaps if you'd changed the oil regularly it would still be going.

What oil does the maker recommend?

Anorak time.....the correct oil for this air cooled stuff is a straight grade SAE 30. This is because air cooled engines work over a variety of temperatures due to ambient conditions, load etc so their running temperature isn't constant like in a car engine which is liquid cooled and therefore temperature stable.
In reality, car engine oil is fine - 10/40 semi synthetic in particular, but do keep the level up and change it yearly. Thinner oil may get past the valve guides and piston rings more readily and may smoke after a while.
John :)

Sponsored Links
expert advice thanks....perhaps a change or two may have kept the old one in better health. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back