Car Horn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, Can anyone help with this one. I have a Klaxon tr90 car horn with 1 wiring connection. It has sounded pants from new. I was nearly run off the motorway today by large trailor lorry just pulling out on me and the horn let me down badly. I have a Klaxon tr99 horn with 2 wiring connections. I swapped this over today and it didn't work. I have noticed that the original tr90 horn as continuity between the connection and the case of the horn, so I assume it is earthed through the bolt to the chassis.
The tr99 does not have continuity between the connections and the case of the horn. Does this mean that the 2nd connection on the horn requires and earth connection? or is it faulty?. any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
if your original horn had one wire supply, then the return would have been through the body of the horn grounded to the body of the car.

If your new horn has a two wire supply, you can connect the other wire on the new horn to a bolt tightly fixed to the car body. You can usually use a bolt that fixes the horn to the car. You might need to use scrape a bit of paint off to give a good contact. A stainless nut, bolt and washer, with a trace of vaseline, will slow down rust and corrosion.

if your original horn had one wire supply, then the return would have been through the body of the horn grounded to the body of the car.

If your new horn has a two wire supply, you can connect the other wire on the new horn to a bolt tightly fixed to the car body. You can usually use a bolt that fixes the horn to the car. You might need to use scrape a bit of paint off to give a good contact. A stainless nut, bolt and washer, with a trace of vaseline, will slow down rust and corrosion.

Many thanks JohnD. I will make a connection between the 2nd spade connection and Using a ring terminal on the other end so the bolt on the bracket makes with the chassis, with the ring terminal.

Sponsored Links
Back