Positioning of controls

AdamW said:
Don't they drive left-handed on the continent because Napolean was left-handed? I seem to recall that he was the one who started all that nonsense!

There are all sorts pf aspects to the left/right argument:

www.travel-library.com/general/driving/drive_which_side.html

http://users.pandora.be/worldstandards/driving on the left.htm

Some places swapped sides in the past, for example certain provinces of Canada changed from left to right during the 1920s to 1940s, and Sweden changed over in 1967.

Edit: The first link seems to be down at the moment. It's available on Google's cache here:

Which side of the road do they drive on?

Sponsored Links
Interesting stuff! 34% of the world's population lives in right-hand drive countries, never would have thought that! I did know about the old Italian rule of driving on the right in the country and on the left in the city though... I think they still keep to that, albeit unofficially. :LOL:

By the way, that first one (read via the Google cache) was written by someone who doesn't understand the terms "right-hand drive" and "left-hand drive", as they get it backwards (i.e. referring to the UK as left-hand drive and the US as right-hand drive). :rolleyes:

Owned black Minor 1000, saw Lavender coloured ? Morris Minor 1000000, Yep, million !! Special edition, sold from relatives car sales.
As I type, looking at pukka, almost pristine, Full, Brit leyland Mini Workshop Manual, Loose leaf 5th edition 1970 ... Same for Midget and Sprite, both one owner.. Service tools in appendices .. Had a few tool copies made in Tool-Room, usually tweaked to improve on original ... ;)
Owned a 1725cc Sunbeam Alpine Sports --- Fuel gauge pretty accurately marked in gallons, a nice touch. Tell-tale lights on dashboard, change clear window to blue for night driving, by rotating plastic bulb lense with index finger ... Hood folded very tidily into lockable compartment behind seats.
P

Engine breathing controls on a legend !!
Did you say 'GTXL or GTX Sir ?'

DR58-03.jpg

P

Sponsored Links
Coincidental door number number pipme, named after the height from the ground if I remember rightly.

Yep, GT40 was 40ins triple 'G' --- 'Go,go,go' Cheers Murray !!
Noel Edmunds has had a 'real one' for many years.
Used to watch one at Castle Combe .. just up the road, back early 70's.
super car !!
P

Ah, but the GT car in Clockwork Orange was even lower, something like 36" according to Top Gear!

Never been in a GT40, but I did get to sit in an F1 LM (did my work experience at the Mclaren factory near Guildford.)

I worked as a laminator, i.e. building parts of the car out of carbon fibre.

Adammade.JPG

The "bonnet splitter" if I recall. Not the panel, just the tiny bit at the windscreen end of it! I made a couple of them. They also let me make my own carbon fibre F1-logo'd keyrings.

Shame old Ronaldo ran out of glass for the sidewindows. ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~
..... DB4GT party piece was its ability to go from a standing start, up to 100 mph and brake to a standstill in 20 seconds...
1959-63 !!
DB4GTT.jpg

;)

Sponsored Links
Back