Car insurance claim

Back to square one just 24 hours after getting it back - hit while parked!

F1D86526-F35F-4B75-BFD2-36AD730E7C7F.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Just had our renewal quote on this car from LV come through. Last year, with two of us covered, fully comp, those two 'incidents' noted, business use and protected NCD we paid £241. This year - £333. Cheeky buggers, I’ll go elsewhere. Went on to a comparison site and the best price I could get was…..£503. I take back what I said about LV. I like them now. :ROFLMAO:

I have been with one of those quaint high street brokers for years. I reckon I would have paid a little over-the-odds for this but remain unenthused about the proliferation of irritating comparison sites. If I see another meerkat I will layout some poison. But this year my premium was going to lift from £345 to £395. I think there had been a similar lift the previous year, also. So even I finally succumbed to blandishments of the switch-sites. Anyway U-switch displayed a smorgasbord of choice that began at around £175 with Aviva. Following a butchers at the Which? Insurer details showed them to be pretty highly rated despite previously held opinion. So plumped for them. Adding a couple of the essential 'additions' to the package raised the premium to £225. So a substantial saving, indeed. Of course, one needs to be primed for a disproportionate increase next time round.

So might be worth giving one of the comparison sites a go, Mottie.

Sponsored Links
So might be worth giving one of the comparison sites a go, Mottie.
I did. That’s what came up with the £503 as the cheapest quote. To be fair to LV, we have been with them for a good few years but even so, I always compare prices from others at renewal time and they do consistently offer better prices than I can find elsewhere. Just as insurance companies load the premiums for young drivers, I feel I may have long passed the sweet spot for insurance prices!

I've had a few accidents and not reported to insurance. I did this after being negatively affected by two non-fault claims (one of which wrote my car off). The insurers/scammers said that I was statistically "more of a risk" and must pay more.

Around a year later a young woman pulled out at a junction and scraped the front of my car. Insurance was discussed but she offered cash. I took it, got a replacement bumper from a dealer and pocketed the rest for my troubles. I'm not going to pay more for insurance because somebody hit me.

Trouble is, there’s always the chance that the other driver reports the incident to their company and your details could end up on the register. Only time it could come out of you make a claim for something else further down the line and all of a sudden, they find the accident on the mid and then you’re in trouble.

There is that, but she gave me a written/signed letter saying that the payment was to be made in lieu of any insurance claim. If she did decide to change her mind further down the line, we'd both be in trouble as the evidence said it was her decision to no go through it.

I once had the wing of my wife's lease car dented by a van driver. I was covered through my own insurance only as third party (I only offered to collect it for her!) and despite trying to work with my insurer, her insurer and the van driver's insurer, and having gained a still from council CCTV showing the impact and positioning of the cars, none were interested. I of course declared that 'incident' for the next five years, so naturally saw an increased premium.

If a similar incident happens again, I'd prefer the non-insurance approach with a signed letter between both.

If a similar incident happens again, I'd prefer the non-insurance approach with a signed letter between both.
I've sorted claims out in a similar fashion in the past, both when people have bumped into me or I've bumped into them but even if I did that, nowdays I'd still report the incident to my insurers. I'd hate to get caught out not doing what all policies specifically say you must do - i.e. notify them of every incident. As long as its not cost them as a no-fault claim, it doesn't add much to your premium.

Sponsored Links
Back