car loses all power when i take my foot off accelerator peda

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anybody give me any advice please? every time i take my foot of the accelerator pedal my car loses all power and stalls.any ideas on the problem?

Sponsored Links
Don't take your foot off then.

It's probably just the idle screw that needs adjustment, or the idle jets are blocked in the carbie. Doesn't sound too serious.

Firstly what car, engine year etc...

This could be carb icing now the weather has turned a bit cold and damp. You may still have the air filter set on summer position - there could be a leaver on the air inlet hose which can be turned so that it takes air heated by the exhaust and so will be warmer and stop the carb icing.

Does this only happen when you first start the car? - could be an automatic choke problem.

had this on an old mini clubman. it turned out to be the vacuum pipe for the rocker cover was split at he point where it meets the carburettor. It was fine under throttle but when backed off it used to stall unless I blipped the throttle when slowing down.

on modern cars the same problem can be caused by the vacuum valves that perform the same function but are temperature sensitive.

above advice only good for carbs though. if it's fuel injected then try again.

Sponsored Links
IAC valve sticking? We need a little bit more info on the car.

the car is an audi a4 automatic.thanks 2 all that have responded to my post,much appreciated any ore suggestions would be greatly appreciated

ps the car doesnt like the cold damp weather,could it ahve anything 2 do with spark plugs or air leaks anywhere?

Take it to a Audi dealer - it may have a fault code for the problem. I took my S4 in a few times and they never charged to read the fault codes.

Sponsored Links
Back