Car or allowance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm toying with opting out of my company car scheme, and going it alone.

One question I do have is, whats a fair allowance to be given by a company in lieu of a company vehicle?

One website I looked at recommended 15% of basic salary is fair.

Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
Lots to consider
15% of basic..
So you are a sales rep, basic salary £12k
So you are a snr manager, basic salary £50k

It also has to do with car choice.
When I had co. car I had a spend value, I didnt have to have an xzy.

I also had private mileage with petrol supplied.

I looked at having the company car as insurance, ie you pay insurance & hope you never need it.
So whilst the car may cost you, you do know that you will not have to pay out, for say a new tyre, etc.

Good Morning Diyisfun,

I have considered and researched this thoroughly.

In terms of the fuel, the company are allowing the full 0.40p per mile on the first 10k, and then 0.25p thereafter (business miles)

The car I have decided on after (lots of sad research) in terms of both opting out, and remaining with the company is the BMW520dse. Its good with mpg (almost 56mpg) and co2 is good too, therefore it falls into an 18% (memory serving correctly) The list cost ain't too bad either. So if I remain in the company car scheme the tax is kept to a fairly reasonable (ish!) level.

If I do opt out, I'm looking to probably do a 36 month contract hire, which can include for tyres, maintenance, which gives a little comfort. I appreciate your comments on insurance, as if I do suffer a bump, then this is bourne by me (excess on the policy) and also in an increased premium.

The 15% I read about is something I also thought a little odd, given the variances in salarys. My basic is fortunately good, so with that in mind the 15% (doubtful if I could swing that!) would be a high figure, given the fact that the company are paying the full 0.40/0.25p part. That's my thinking anyway.

For the record the allowance they are offering is around £1700, which I don't think is a fair sum? This has apparently been deduced on the basis of the cost of a lease car to the company, less the recoverable vat, less, less some other figures too (complex spreadsheet) which I have not got my head round yet.

I have looked at a website called cash or car, and putting the sums in their calculator, given the mileage I'm doing (approx 25k business, with very little private, approx 2k) then this advises I'm better off opting out.

Your further thoughts would be appreciated.

Pay for your own private fuel (keep records to justify this), then you won't get whacked for the fuel surcharge on top of the CCT.

At some point in the past, I seem to remember that I worked out you'd have to be doing well in excess of 10k private for that to be cost effective, but obviously with fuel price hikes that will have changed as, presumably has the FS figure, so what the break-even figure is, no idea.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.

This is something I'm going to do anyway, as I'm now wrongly being whacked for that in tax.

I read yesterday that you would have to do at least 12000 private miles to be even on the fuel part.

I will therefore start logging the small amount of private I do and pay for it, and ask to have this benefit in kind removed.

Easiest way to make sure you are not using any company fuel is to record your private mileage, divide that by the published average mpg for the car (or use the actual mpg if it's better and your overall mileage/fuel records will support that figure) and put the requisite amount of fuel (galls to litres = x4.5461) back in the car, getting a receipt for this, obviously.

You won't have to put fuel in every time you do some private miles, just make sure that the figures add up and the fuel has been replaced byt the end of the tax year. For 2k private miles a year, topping it up every couple of months or so will be fine and stop you having to bung out a large wedge for fuel in one go.

It's a bit of a pain in the ar*e collating the info, but if the taxman cometh to the firm for an audit and finds that you've done even one mile privately, using company fuel, you'll get whacked for the surcharge. It happens...

Don't forget also that home to work and back counts as private mileage.

Thank for the in depth reply shytalkz. That seems a logical way of doing it.

Have you any thought yourself on a what is a fair allowance from the company in lieu of the car??

It's a difficult one, depending on what side of the fence it is that you're on.

Companies with large fleets obviously get substantial discounts on the costs of vehicle running costs and you, personally, wouldn't be able to run a car for that amount.

Having a company car will usually enable you to have something better than you would have privately, at less cost to you.

However, if you are on a company pension scheme with them paying a percentage of income into your pot and you've taken salary in lieu of a car then, depending on the set up, more could be getting paid into your pension.

If you're doing 25k mpa in your own car, that translates into £7750 expenses per year, tax-free. You could probably arrange a leasefor say £500 inc VAT for a reasonable car, add another £100 or so if you want the servicing and tyres in on it as well, so you can see that from that alone you won't have much left for fuel, VED (after the first year) and insurance (which will be higher, as you're using it for work). However, there is the salary in lieu to add in. Say fuel will be an ave of 35mpg at 130ppl for diesel, so for 27k mileage gives 3507 litres = £4559 plus say £400 insurance and £200 VED. So you'd need a total of 12x600 + 4559 = 600 = £12359pa to breakeven and knocking off the mileage expenses gives a required salary increase of £4609.

It's been about 4 years since I was a director of a company with other than myself in its employ and I think we used to offer £2.5k salary increase or thereabouts instead of a car, on the basis that we did not expect to be funding their private use of it as well (which the figures above do, of course). If they offer you say £3k, then you're getting use of a good quality vehicle for £1.5kpa, or 75ppm. Don't forget you will pay NICs on either BIK or additional salary.

Advantage of a company car? If you have free choice, you will tend to get something better than would be the case if it was yours; no worries re running the thing; if you lose your job, you don't have to stump up the dosh to keep it going; don't need to attain company mileages to make your figures work. Downside? BIK tax; leave job, lose car; possible restriction of choice; subject to vagaries in the tax regime (eg when Brown came in, my CCT doubled overnight).

Either way, unless you run an old banger and are lucky with servicing and spares costs through the year, having a car will cost you.

Alternatively, use your company car strictly for company use (difficult if you go to and from work) and get an old crate for private use. No private use of company car = no BIK = no tax.

Thanks again shytalkz for the comprehensive reply.

The company accountant has also factored in the Personal BIK advantage when doing the maths, i.e based on the bmw520 at say approx list/co2 £27,000 x 18% = £4860 x 40% = £1944/£162 pm, also factored in, is the free fuel BIK, £16,900 x 18% = £3042 x 40% =£1217/£101pm giving a total saving to me of around £263 per month, is this correct??

Looking at what you're saying, the £1700 allowance they are offering is not too clever!!

I also take your point re. the changing tax regimes, a right pain in the a***!

I have an offer from a leasing company for £500 pm for the 520 which includes maintenance.

Thanks again.

That's the tax you would be paying on a company car and fuel, not a saving! Or do you mean by having your own car you wouldn't be paying that, in which case it's a saving?!

Measly allowance in lieu for sure, but that will always be your problem with such low private mileage. Unless you got something like a G-Wizz...!

It's a difficult call, as you never know what the next budget will bring, once you're tied into an agreement. Other than an increase in tax somewhere, of course.

That car deal seems cheap for a personal contract, with maintenance, for 27k mpa. Is there VAT on top of that?

Bin the private fuel allowance and BIK of £160-odd a month for a new beemer (natch, so passé...) plus say £30pm for private fuel is a reaso deal, on the face of it. Cost to you say £2.4kpa.

However:
Private deal £6k (assuming incl VAT)
Fuel work £4.2k
VED £200
Ins £400
Private fuel £360
less mileage £7.75k
less salary increase £1.7k
plus additional tax on salary £680
Total = £2390

Not a lot in it! Cute accountancy going on there with their offer then!!!

Hi Shytalkz,

Yes I am looking at this from the point of view of a saving, as with not having a company car means I don't have this going in against my salary as a benefit in kind. So I think I'm correct in saying its a saving??

Think you're correct when you say creative accounting, they are all at it, everyones out to s***w you!!!

The lease deal does inc vat, and its a true monthly, even factoring in the deposit, a three month deposit, I think.

Doing the actual business miles is not an issue, as I have customers all over the country.

I'm still tempted to opt out, but I need to get that £1700 upwards by a good chunk, me now thinks.

Thanks a millon for the sums, and your advice. Think I owe you a drink or two.

Well, it's a "saving" I suppose - but then you have to go out and spend that saving on a car under your own steam! And you'll pay tax (and NICs) on the increase in your salary.

Good price on the car though, if it's with VAT and servicing, for that annual mileage. Presume that's a basic model with no extras (which for bee emm includes such basics as the steering wheel)? Watch the extra mileage charges too - you can often haggle that downwards though. Hawk that deal price around to others, you might be able to haggle the whole package down. They can only say no...

Factor in having it given a good clean too before you hand it back, £150 for a steam clean and thorough wash and brush up. How tight they are on hand back depends on the company: the one I have used before is on the web at www.yvf.co.uk. Brilliant notwithstanding that they are bluff Yorkshire folk :).

Last one I had through them (lease/purchase) was my poxy Audi TT - I abused that heap of shi'ite muslims for three years, never washed it, never had it serviced, got a local non-Audi garage to give it a last minute service for £250 and turn the service thing on the computer off, wash and brush up for £140, that was all I spent on it in three years, other than tyres, insurance and VED. It had dinked alloys, a few scratches and dents, chipped screen and very worn leather on the seats where my jeans caught the side bit getting in and out - and no contra-charge whatsoever. Worth having a word with them, before you jump, maybe? Am just looking into my next one (Baby Lexus again, methinks) and will probably go back to them and lease, I was that impressed with them and their service.

Sponsored Links
Back