Car Port Build - Roughcasting On Wood???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do all.

I need to roughcast onto a wood structure ii am building.

It's a carport we're building and i want it to match the house.

Any ideas what method might be the best if any. I kjnow it's not ideal but it's a long story i may go into later.

I was thinking sealing the wood like a pva solution perhaps. Or no in fact sheathing it with something, or bonding it. I dunno....

Any ideas would be great.

Cheers

DrG

Sponsored Links
to roughcast on wood you will be best advised to cover the wood with mesh as a key for your render,you can buy the mesh at any decent merchants & is usaully on a roll about 300mm wide
:mrgreen:

The best material to use for roughcasting onto a wooden structure is Expamet Galvanised Wire Lath Sheeting.It comes in sheets 2.4m long x 700mm wide.I normally cover the wall with felt,fix 2"x 1" treated battens vertically 12" centres, or there abouts,and fix the lath with nails, horizontally across the wall starting from the centre of each sheet working outwards left to right.Start from the top of the wall.Overlap the ends of each sheet by 2" or so,and overlap along the length by about an inch and tie with a thin piece of wire about every foot to join each sheet together.Galvanised plasterboard nails should be used to fix the wire lath,about every 5 or 6 inches or so,and they should be hammered in as I said from the centre of the sheet,at an angle.You want the nails to be put in,in such a way that the nailhead pulls and tightens up each wire sheet as you fix it. You want the lath to be as tight as possible.When you scratch-coat, don't push on it too hard,or you will push it right through.Start from the top of the wall and slowly build up the coat,working up and into the cement as you go down the wall.Don't try to spread it.When you have covered the wall,CAREFULLY scratch it and then leave it for 2 or 3 days to set properly and then roughcast it.A 4 to 1 sand and cement mix with a waterproofer admix in the scratch coat and top coat is normally a standard mix.You can even fix a Bellcast bead about a foot up or so from ground level,roughcast down to the bead,and cement render the plinth underneath the bead to give the walls a really neat finish.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back