Anchoring a Double Carport

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Im thinking of buying a flat-packed double carport (approx. 5m x 6m), something like this: http://www.tuin.co.uk/Double-Carport-6.0-x-5.0m.html

I need some advice on the best way to anchor such a structure to the ground. I would be installing it as a standalone structure onto a block paving driveway. Would it be better to concrete the upright posts directly into the ground, or use anchors of some sort? And if anchors, which sort considering it will be on block paving, and not a concrete slab.

To be honest I like the idea of anchors. They seem to be more commonly used on carports, and they would keep the posts above ground, and help prevent wood rotting in the future, but I don't have any experience with them. Something just tells me the structure wouldn't be as sturdy as cementing the posts straight in the ground (although I could be wrong....).

I have some experience installing fencing, but have always concreted the posts straight in the ground. Building a carport is something new to me, so any advice is grateful.

Thanks,
Tim

Sponsored Links
keeping the posts away from the ground will protect them from rot. There will still be rainsplash and damp, so stand the bottom of the posts in a tub of spirit-based wood preserver before the build (also the tops if there is any chance rain can get into the end grain)

I stapled DPC along all the upward-facing timbers on mine to keep the rain off before the roof went on. Also to protect the end beams and ledger as rain will find a way.

I cast concrete pads standing 4" above the ground with the steel post holders bolted down, easier to remove if necessary, but concrete spurs are also good. You can paint the concrete or steel dark brown to blend in with the woodwork if you like. I bought stainless bolts and nuts for mine for longevity. A bit of formwork above the ground makes the pads look smaller and neater.

BTW I built mine a bit longer than necessary and enclosed the end as a shed, which I am pleased with. I got helpful advice on here.

Thanks for your replies guys. I do like the idea of using concrete spurs. I didn't think of that before, but they would definitely help to make the structure nice and sturdy.

JohnD,
Was yours also standalone? What size? Another thing that slightly concerns me is the stability of a structure 6 metres wide with only support posts either side such as the one I linked to, but it has been designed like that so I assume it should be fine...

Sponsored Links
Mine is about 6.5 x 3 metres. One side fixed to wall. I have gallows supports for appearance and to support the long beam better, as they are diagonals they also stiffen it a bit, they are morticed into the legs for appearance but bolted to the beam out of sight.

An unsupported 6m beam must be very deep, there are online calculators available. I fear it might sag.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back