Ground anchors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for a ground anchor for my bike. Its kept in a garage, with an up and over door which I intend to secure from the inside, however I also want a ground anchor for the inside.

I'm intending to bolt it to the concrete floor, but I've never drilled concrete before and basically need some advice.

The one I'm looking at is this one:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bolt-down-ground-anchor/96493

which comes with 10mm bolts however there is no protective cover so whats stopping someone just drilling the bolts out or cutting them off?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Never seen one of those before but perhaps the small balls have something to do with securing it. Screwfix's technical dept are usually quite helpful perhaps you should give them a call.

Those screw down bolts are of the allen type with a hexagon head, and once they are secured the steel balls are popped in the hole, where they can't be extracted again.
There's nothing to stop a potential thief from attacking the thing with an angle grinder though - which is always the case.
Some anchors are better than others, and again often the chain and lock are the weak points.
John :)

IMO A crowbar should be able to pull that out, it only has about 5mm metal from hole to edge.

Sponsored Links
Those screw down bolts are of the allen type with a hexagon head, and once they are secured the steel balls are popped in the hole, where they can't be extracted again.
There's nothing to stop a potential thief from attacking the thing with an angle grinder though - which is always the case.
Some anchors are better than others, and again often the chain and lock are the weak points.

Yeah I intend to get a decent chain and lock as well, but the cost is all adding up so I need to economise somewhere. The sold secure ground anchors are more substantial but alot more expensive:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_227117_langId_-1_categoryId_165752

Is drilling concrete the same as drilling brick? I have an SDS drill.

Same technique for concrete as well as brick, mate - don't drill too deep and get the dust out of the hole if you can.
The level of security depends on what you want to pay, but subtle techniques like parking the bike to cover the anchor, and making sure the chain and lock can't be belted on the ground is a good move.
Maybe your insurers will have a preferred piece of kit.
Bloody battery powered angle grinders.....everyone's worst nightmare. if they ever make a silent one there's going to be no point using anything :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back