Using sleeve anchors with resin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the advice of a builder, I've used sleeve anchors with resin before to hang up my vertical radiators and it did a great job. The fixing was solid, however getting the bolts into the wall and keeping them straight I found difficult.

I'm using them again and finding the same issues. The ones I'm using are these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-sleeve-anchor-12-x-130mm-m12-10-pack/19649

ae235.jpeg

My technique is:

* Drill the hole - but the drill bit goes all over the place, so the hole is far from perfect.
* Clean out the hole and test the sleeve anchor - it goes in but there is a lot of play
* Fill hole with resin and insert sleeve anchor

Now my problem is here - I have to turn the bolt some to expose at least 30mm of thread out of the wall to attach my fixing, then I somehow need to keep it straight.

Can anyone offer any advice or let me know if I'm going about it wrong.

Also, I use the type which has nut. Would I maybe find it easier if I used a sleeve anchor that had a bolt instead - that was going to be my next step.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Make up a jig to hold the two fixings as if they were bolted to the radiator. Then with resin in the holes push the fixings into the wall in the positions they would be if the radiator was in position. A piece of wood with two accurately drilled holes and a couple of bolts through those holes is likely to do the trick.

Way overkill, rads need no more than a good wall plug and suitable screw.

Yup, a jig is the way. I'll try that. Thanks.

@foxhole

The walls are covered in insulated plasterboard - so I have 12mm board, 25mm insulation, then possibly another 10mm of dot and dab that stuck it to the wall, then the brickwork... which is from 1900, and I may hit the mortar and not a brick. So I've got almost 50mm before I hit anything really solid. Get a good wall plug in to that! The resin provided a really strong hold and I came away confident it wasn't going anywhere.

Possibly overkill, but I've got plenty of time, I'm not on a budget and I'd rather over engineer and ensure the thing stays on the wall.

Sponsored Links
I've just used them on a solid wall. Superb.

This was for the side frame of a fitted bunk bed I'm building. Lined my piece up on the wall, drilled 6mm hole in the wood, countersunk, the put my 6mm masonry bit through the hole and drilled into wall, the wood kept my bit straight too, then used the concrete screw with my impact driver. Went in solid and got a firm grip. That's not going anywhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back