Render Cleaning / Seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have some areas of smooth white render (monocouche?) at the front elevation of our property, and the remaining is roughcast (pebbledash). Its a new build about 9 years old.
We're looking to get the smooth render cleaned as well as the roughcast (chemical and doff steam cleaning).
The smooth render requires some minor repairs (i.e. small holes / cracks to be filled etc).

We've been recommended to get both the smooth render and roughcast treated with an impregnating sealer - called Stonetex Facade Pro 500. Suppose to be a breathable/invisible treatment, which bonds within the porous material, offering hydrophobic properties to keep driving rain at bay and the surface cleaner etc.

Firstly, has anyone heard of this type of treatment and got first hand experience to advise if this is a good idea or not?
Looking to get some feedback and thoughts on this before deciding.
At the moment I'm thinking about getting this applied to all my window stone cills and roughcast pebbledash.

However I'm in a bit of a dilemma as whenever we should use this also on our smooth render or not? As i've stated, we looking to get repairs carried out (patching up any minor cracks and holes as part of the cleaning process). I believe a colour based rendering filler will be used (k rend fill). But from experience colour matches on render repairs are difficult at best.
We also have existing repairs carried out in the past which are still visible (see photos below). These are some what blended in due to weathering, but they may become more noticeable once the areas are properly cleaned.
Hence, would I be best going down the simple painting route for the smooth render i.e. emperor paint

I should add that once you apply this treatment (Facade) you can't paint over the treated surface as it wont adhere. So it becomes abit problematic on future patch up repair work? And obviously if we paint the render, the Facade will not penetrate through the painted surface.

Any thoughts on the above, and prior experience on the above would be appreciated.
Just trying to validate my thinking on the smooth render...

Cheers

IMG_5240.jpg
IMG_5243.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back