car port conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, not sure if this is the right subject area so feel free to move it if not :oops:
I currently live in a 3 story town house with a carport on the ground floor underneath the living room. I would like to convert the carport into a small workshop for my lathe and mill and ive run across a few questions so here goes;

The access to the front door is via the carport so i will need a dividing wall between the new workshop and what will be a small corridor if you like to the front door. I plan on making it a stud wall what are the requirements on foundation depth and size bearing in mind it wont be loadbearing?

If i make the stud wall out of wood i think (probably wrongly) due to the low height that i wont require planning permission??

when it comes to the workshop floor i want to go for concrete and ideally id like to keep the damp out would it be suitable to use a waterproof concrete mix as opposed to dpm under concrete to save having to join the floor dpc to the existing walls dpc?

Thanks for any help and advise,

Harry

Sponsored Links
It looks like you will require planning permission and building regs approval.

So you might need someone to sort that out first before worrying about the detail

Hi woody, il give the council a call tomorrow and find out would it not be planning free as its an extension under 3m high and wooden? (not questioning your advice just wondering :) )

The material used has nothing to do with the need for planning permission

Enclosing an open carport makes it an extension

But if this carport is really already like an open fronted garage and built into the main structure (as opposed to being on the side) then you may not need permission as it is may be effectively already like a garage

But check with your planning dept

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back