car port lighting

I'll ask his advice also, on weather I need a separate spur for the pond pump, ensuring the pond pump complies to whatever is the latest relevant standard for submerged electrical equipment
Yes, it's more for advice on the pump.

I was asked to do the same by a customer.
She had bought the pump from a garden centre.
It was just to be placed in the water and plugged in with a flimsy ten metre two-core cable to be draped across the grass.

Children playing and elderly Granddad mowing.

I advised her to return it and complain.

Sponsored Links
I think that SaladFinger's comments are a little unfair.

Really.

Sure, it's badged as a diy forum but plenty pros ask for advice too, and there is even a pro-only area (for gas fitters).
These pros offer advice for free and generally, as here, that advice is excellent and well received.

Indeed, I've not stated once that it isn't and I've noted several times how tradesmen camp here of an evening.

I think it is also vitally important that the pros point out where there are dangers, or where certification / regs are required, or where they have doubts over the OP's competence. That's perfectly reasonable and it does fall clearly under the banner of "advice" - nobody can force the OP to follow a certain path so the best that can be offered is reasoned advice.

That's fine and I've never had a problem with anyone pointing out dangers or where certification/regs are required - I've never had an issue with that.

But there are people here who are abusing the nature of advice giving to the degree that they think they're the god and the DIYer has no right to ask on a DIY forum. It's ever more assumed that the DIYer is asking about something which they're not allowed to ask.

So where you say I've been unreasonable to enforce that it's a DIY forum and DIYers are allowed to ask, but say the others have been fine to run wild with 'oh no it's a DIYer' tantrums isn't entirely right in my opinion.

As you say, it's advice, whether or not the DIYer diverts away from safe advice is down to them, not us.

SF - I don't want us to hijack this thread so this will be my final reply to this thread.

I agree with your concerns generally, and we see it every day on here (especially from certain members) but I just didn't think your comments were merited on *this* thread as I saw the advice as being helpful and on-point.

Thanks

I've never seen salad fingers make a helpful post. All he does is criticise other users on this site. Talk about double standards :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I've never seen salad fingers make a helpful post. All he does is criticise other users on this site. Talk about double standards :rolleyes:

You need to look more closely.

I've offered helpful advice on other threads and the forum critiqué (which isn't me) is well known to many.

Now, would you consider your post helpful?

Listener-1125177-SaladFingersFriends2.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back