Car tax, correct band? Post office can't help and DVLA won't

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone explain to me how the system works?

I have a Y reg astra 1.7DTi which was registered in April 2001, which, as far as I understand the system, should fall within the new rating bands dependent on emissions (registered after March 2001)

When I bought this car back in May this year I checked the DVLAs website which said that this model of car was a band C car. Having now received the tax reminder the car has been rated as the highest band which is the same as the old system so it is difficult to tell how this has been done.

I have now gone back to the DVLAs website but this has now changed to link to another website on which my car's VIN isn't listed (similar nos. are but start at a higher no. to mine) which therefore brings me too think that it has been rated on the old system.

I have asked at my local post office but gave up when I realised that I know more about the system that they did and have written to DVLA via website and by post. Via website they referred me to the post office and by post - nothing!

Has anyone else had similar problems? Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
The system before 1 April 2005 for cars registered after 1 March 2001 had four bands A to D. Your car is produces 126g/km of CO2 so was in diesel band A.

Under the revised system from 1 April this year, new lower bands were introduced (only the Honda Insight is in A) so you are right in that your Astra has moved to new band C. Being diesel, the VED should be £115 per year.

But your renewal shows it as Band F :eek: ? What does your V5 have on it? It should show the CO2 rating. Was the car an import or at least non-UK-dealer, meaning the V5 could not have been filled in properly when new?

How much was the tax paid on the old disc?

If your V5 is missing the information, I would have thought there would be nothing the Post Office could do. It would be a case of writing to the DVLA, sending the V5 back and asking them to change it. It wouldn't come back in time to get your tax at the end of this month though.

If your V5 does show the correct CO2, which suggests an unusual DVLA cock-up, you could take that to the Post Office instead of the reminder form and fill in a V10 form there.

James

Sponsored Links
Back