Car-tax refund

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When a car is sold now, tax cannot be passed on, and any remaining tax is refunded to the seller. Does anyone know, can this refund be by internet banking, or is it still paper cheques?
Reason I ask, its not obvious from DVLA website, and daughter is selling car tomorrow, then moving house just after Christmas. From my experience, DVLA refunds took some time, it will not be in two weeks, and she does not want post going to her old address, its 200 miles away. Any advice much appreciated, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Yet another potential flaw to this great new scheme. Would be interested to know this myself.

Wonder how much interest Her Majesty's government make holding on to all this refund money? Added to the fact that they only refund whole months, not part months. Then the new buyer no doubt has to pay for a whole month to start with, but may lose some or almost all of the first month's tax if it's part-way through the month.

A big con, that must make them millions extra each year.

Hardly a surprise though......just the same as the big insurance con.....it's all down to money in the bank for them.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't everyone pay for the post to be redirected, even for a small period of time?

Admittedly its not cheap but if 'that' letter goes astray it can offer peace of mind.

Yes it still comes by cheque in the post, to the address on the v5.

Your only option is redirection

This is another change which has not been thought through! As I understand it, a new owner must tax the car immediately, (from the first of the current month) and the old owner receives a refund of *full* months tax already paid. This means that for one month, the car tax has been paid twice, and, unless it has specifically been disallowed, (it used to be a valid reason for requesting a refund) the original owner can claim a further month's refund by virtue of the tax having been paid twice.

When I sold my previous vehicle, the agreement was made about 10 days before month-end, but the actual transfer took place at 23:59 on the last day of the month (sale) and 00:01 on the first for the purchase. Tax was purchased on-line before 00:15 on the first, so everyone was happy except the DVLA who could not fiddle an extra month's tax. S*d them I say.

Back