Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My car has been punctured. I believe its due to a screw as shown in one of the pictures. I would love to know the right tools to buy and replace it with a spare wheel myself. One of the nuts holding the wheel has a different shape as shown in the picture. My car is a 2008 Ford Focus Zetec 1.6. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• photo_2020-07-06_22-28-22.jpg
    photo_2020-07-06_22-28-22.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 295
  • photo_2020-07-06_22-28-35.jpg
    photo_2020-07-06_22-28-35.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 276
  • photo_2020-07-06_22-28-40.jpg
    photo_2020-07-06_22-28-40.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 299
Sponsored Links
Err there should should be a locking wheel bolt socket in the boot or somewhere. I'd add that perhaps if that's not obvious then actually changing the wheel is likely beyond you.

Have you checked under the mat in the boot? I have a strong suspicion there will be a jack/wheel brace and locking wheel nut key in there

Err there should should be a locking wheel bolt socket in the boot or somewhere.
Yep. OP, have a good look in the boot, glovebox, door and seat pockets and any other places. If you can’t find it, you’ll need to go to a tyre fitting centre to have them all removed.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for the response! Under the mat in the boot there is a spare wheel with a Car Scissor Jack. I found nothing else. I have not checked anywhere else properly but I will. If I found nothing then I will take it to a tyre fitting centre as advised.

I just sold one of those keys on eBay, found it at the side of the road! It's a fairly standard ford pattern (so if it says it's for a ford and looks like that it will fit), should be less than a tenner. In the mean time ring a few tyre places, I'm sure you'll find one that has a ford key of their own.

I just sold one of those keys on eBay, found it at the side of the road! It's a fairly standard ford pattern (so if it says it's for a ford and looks like that it will fit), should be less than a tenner. In the mean time ring a few tyre places, I'm sure you'll find one that has a ford key of their own.
Are you sure? Even if you have the key number it will cost you £30 plus and still take a week or so for a main dealer to get one in from Germany. If there was just one or two versions, they’d have them in stock.

For the OP. You do realise that changing a car tyre is not as simple as changing a bicycle tyre?
For one, you need much bigger tyre levers. Two, in a tyre shop they smear something around the rim to help seal the tyre to the rim. Three, they also fit a new valve and fourth, they actually balance the wheel to make sure it runs smoothly and safely.
For a puncture such as yours, where the tread seems to be a decent depth, they can professionally repair the puncture for around £10
Think of your family, (and members of the public), instead of thinking about your wallet by doing an important job on the cheap.

That screw looks too near to the edge for a proper repair to be carried out.

This was it, I reckon it's a perfect fit, the buyer was happy with it. But from what I've read about security on modern cars it's probably easier to nick the whole car rather than the wheels anyway - I see more and more of those old krook lock things back in use.
IMG_20200529_150326697.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back