Car Widow Seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The motor was changed a year or so ago on my Proton car - electric window winder. The problem now is when I wind the window up it comes up slanted and away from the rubber seals. The guy who fitted the new motor said I need new seals. This is the problem I have searched forums , google , ebay etc but cant find anything. Any ideas?

PeterO

Sponsored Links
It sounds to me as if the mechanism isn't quite right. There's lots of things it could be and the best way for a novice to do it is to look at the other side and compair. They should be a mirror immage of each other.

Try using silicone spray down the inside of the seal with the window in the open position(give it a good spray).If that cures it,it means that you do need a new seal,if not do as "ratm"suggests.
;)

Thanks for replies, the spray work for a short time. But I still could do with some new rubber seal as iwhats on has gone a bit distorted.

Sponsored Links
Having been in the automotive glazing industry for the last 20 years , this i am afraid is a common problem,
Firstly, You may have a degree of adjustment from the motor and may be able to re adjust it to go up more square by loosening it off and moving it about to find the best position for it to operate smoothly.

Secondly if its the drivers side its gone up more times and the scissor mechanism may be very worn and may have a tendancy to allow the whole mechanism to be jiggled about and this allows the glass to go up at a slant,

Thirdly , if you cannot get any new rubbers try greasing it up so the glass does not dig in the rubber and cause it to cock over,

Fourthly , do not force the glass up as you may go the wrong side of the rubbers and you may break it , just assist the glass up by holding it square in the door, if you strip the door panel off , a automotive glazing company will give there advice on it freely and point you in the right direction .

Check the seal hasnt been pushed out of shape inside the door whilst the new bits were fitted. Easily done.

Back