Factory Fitted sunroof Ford Fiesta 1996 leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Bought a car for DD to learn to drive. OH went to buy and has no sense of smell. Super car low mileage - obvious faults needed new tailgate due to rust (possible accident).

When I got in car I could smell damp and looked all around floor etc could not find any wet/damp signs.

After 2 months when we went above 40 mph the sunroof started whistling with the wind. When I put my hand through rubber seal I could feel that the metal had corroded and flaked around the front hinges of the sunroof. There has obviously been a long standing problem with the keaing sunroof.

Oh has no examined the problem and had come to the same concusion as me - the sunroof needs to be sealed shut as there is no way of re-attaching it.

The sunroof is manual and opens with hinges at the front at an angle when a round/flat wheel type knob is turned

Any suggestions as to how we can seal/fix shut the sunroof would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Check any drain holes and tubes that lead water away from around the sun roof. if they get blocked, water backs up and can find it's way past the rubber seal and into the car.

If a tube gets detatched, water will just drop onto the head lining instead of being conducted down the door pillars and away.

Sponsored Links
I don't think it is the drains now the roof has corroded where the sunroof has leaked (for years maybe)

There are 'gutters' to drain water away from the sunroof, you seem to dismiss? clear these out with bits of wire..

The rubber seals around the sunroof, massage washing up liquid into these, this will restore its flexibility.

My car is stored, and as it has frameless doors, I was unable to open the doors on it the other day, due to the dryness of the rubber seal.

There are 'gutters' to drain water away from the sunroof, you seem to dismiss? clear these out with bits of wire..

The rubber seals around the sunroof, massage washing up liquid into these, this will restore its flexibility.

My car is stored, and as it has frameless doors, I was unable to open the doors on it the other day, due to the dryness of the rubber seal.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I have checked the gutters and they are all clear. I have put fairy washing up liquid all around the rubber seal inside and on the outside also.

I will see if this works but when the sunroof is closed the front of it does not close down as flush as the back. I think this is the problem as water has seeped in over a period of years.

I think on the car, there is a way to 'nip up' the closing mechanism, I think on my old Ford, it was to take the handle off, and relocate is say 45 degrees, so that when it was locked back into position it was more secure? (don't want to brag but used to an electric sunroof for years).

I think the cables get stretched or uneven over time, so causes it not to seal correctly.

Another thing that might be useful is a wind deflector, had one of those on my old Capri, with manual winder, as you could always feel a breeze when travelling; it fits on the roof just before the sunroof, and diverts air over the car, rather than suffocating the rear seat passengers with volumes of air! They must be pretty generic, an opaque piece of plastic, so available from a scrapyard?

I recall my AX, and Capri having removable sunroofs, so might be an idea to - if possible - remove the roof, and remove and refit the rubber trim completely?

Hi

Thanks for further suggestions

Tried the washing up liquid but no joy

OH says the hinges at the front are corroded so when the pressure builds up at 40 mph the sunroof lifts at the front as the hinges are not holding it tight.

Wind deflector might be a good idea. Will look into getting one :)

Sponsored Links
Back