ford fiesta encore '97

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a P reg fiesta and i had a new clutch fitted bout 11 months ago and ive only done about 7000 miles since it was fitted, but in the past week ive been havin a problem with gear changes a bit like when my clutch 1st broke.

when i press the clutch down it started to stick and seemed to loose pressure in returning back up, not it has started sticking down when in 1st or revers and the car wans to keep goin even though i have my foot on the break and not on the gas!!! the only way to correct it is to stall it because the gear stick is jammed in whatever gear ive selected.

i went to a garage and they saidit was my clutch ratchet but ford fiestas dont have one, my dad thinks it could be the inner drive shaft or slave cylinder but these were changed with my new clutch, apparently.

if anyone could give some advice its be so grateful because garages only want to seem to take all my money as im a girl!

thank you

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid your garage is correct. The ratchet mechanism is at the top of the pedal assembly. It's a common problem with your car. Don't listen to your Dad, I'm sure he means well but he is talking nonsense.

but the ford garage used my number plate to check the parts and there isnt that part on my car. so im stuck

Ah, sorry, thought yours was the earlier shape. Indeed your garage is wrong and you do have a hydraulic clutch. Is there any resistance in the pedal when you press it?

The first thing to do is to bleed the clutch fluid. Don't see what the driveshaft has to do with it but if your slave cylinder has been done it could be your master cylinder at fault and bleeding should temporarily rectify things. Also the earlier ones, pre 99 had pre load valves - this could be the culprit.

Sponsored Links
resistance in what way?
it only sticks to the floor when im in 1st or reverse. changing gears while driving is ok it just a little slow to come up fully.
my dad did bleed the clutch fluid and it did work for a little bit but not very long!

You are obviously getting air into the system from somewhere and my instincts tell me master cylinder. Is there any evidence of fluid leakage at the master cylinder push rod at the pedal. (no leakage doesn't nessecarily mean no problem, but any leakage means def. fault. )

Also, why was your clutch replaced in the first place? It obviously had life left in it. Was it purely a slave cylinder problem? I'm also thinking about the pre load valve, but I've never done one and I don't know the symptoms of a faulty one. Consistently excessive pedal free play at a guess, I don't see why bleeding would affect this valve temporarily but I could be wrong. I'm hoping the new slave cylinder is ok, otherwise it's a gearbox out again job. If it is the master cylinder then it might be that it always was the problem. Let us know when you suss it!!

i think ive got the same problem with mine ...........anyone answer this

Back