Fixing a leaking sunroof (BMW x3, 2007)

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. The problem started about 3 years ago. I took it to a BMW garage who basically said that the proper fix is to replace the sunroof and the pipes, but that was an expensive job and tehy could instead just clear the pipes out and see how we get on. THey did taht and it was fine for 2 years. Then I noticed the boot getting wet again about a year ago and took it back. They said teh same thing, cleared the pipes again but when the problem returned again a few months ago they said taht there was no blockage, so the pipe was probably damaged but repairing it was a pain. Harry - I'll do a bit of investigation because that sounds preferable, but the man at the BMW garage did seem like he wanted to help so I suspect its not as simple as that. But you could be right - it would help explain why so much water makes it into the boot!

I've ordered some of that tape from toolstation (they deliver but don't stock it, unless I'm looking for the wrong thing) so hopefully I can have a go at patching it up over the next day or so. Tonight's job will be to sit in the car while my wife sticks the hose pipe over teh roof to see exactly where it is coming in, so I can see what difference the tape makes!

Two things come mind;
Did the garage split the pipe when tried to clear it? (Guess they won't own up to that)(think the split pipe would more likely cause the roof lining to be stained by the leak)
Has the pipe come off or out of the drain in the boot?

Sponsored Links
A length of the old fashioned plastic covered curtain spring, which used to be used with a tiny screw in hook at each end, is perfect for clearing such drains out.

i’d cover the whole thing in vinyl if its just for a year

To update... I got hold of some of that tape and had a play with it. It is serious stuff. If it doesn't work, I'll never get it off the metal. So despite the no doubt excellent advice on here, I've ordered some vinyl instead and will try that first. If it doesn't work I'll unleash the gorilla tape.

Sponsored Links
Back