Caravan door lock - (pictures linked in message)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The door lock on my old 'static' caravan has just rusted through and fallen off so I need a replacement, but so far I can't find anything suitable. Must be at least 15-20 years old. There is the same type of lock, still intact, on the caravan's other door.

The current lock is from 'HM Doors' (I can't find them online) - it has a Yale-type of lock on the outside and a small circular lever on the inside.

The barrel and screws pass though a 30mm circular hole in the aluminium door - and that's it. No other holes, the screws just pass through either side of the key barrel (which is about 13mm across). The catch latches in the lip of the aluminium frame.

Here's some photos, first the front views of the two halves of the lock - inner part on the left, outer part on the right (the rusty ring on the right photo is where the circular 'brass' ring would normally be seen but which I can't find):

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/Dalek99999/PA190549.jpg

Next up is rear views of the same two parts:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/Dalek99999/PA190550.jpg

On the left photo you can see the rusty remaining two screws (looks like there should be four, but maybe only two were fitted). It looks like the metal plate on the left part should somehow come off to allow the screws to be fitted (so attaching the outer part to the inner plate) and then the inner latch is attached to the inner plate - maybe).

On the right outer lock part a lot of the bit that the screws attach to has rusted away.

Any ideas on a substitute please which will just fit without any more holes needing to be made, etc?

Sponsored Links
You must be very near the sea. I have never seen corrosion like that.
It is a Legge back set (the left hand part) (see the legs on the handle).
I can not see the make of the cylinder. (the right hand part)
On ebay there is a similar item:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGGE-B42...LATCH-WITH-TRADITIONAL-CYLINDER-/170986272940
Many other back sets will fit. I believe that is 40mm from the centre of the cylinder to the door edge. So you have a wide choice.
DC

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks! I am in fact about a mile front the sea, hence the rust. :(

Thanks very much for the link - just checked the existing hole again - from the centre of that hole (ie barrel centre) to the door edge it's about 50mm, so should that lock work? It certainly LOOKS the same but I can't find any dimensions online.

Also, there's no receiving catch/plate (part on the right in the Ebay auction) as the existing latch just latches on the frame, so i guess that one would still do?

50mm back set is a little more obscure. Union 1026 is another option for you. The one on ebay does not mention the size (back set) but I found another picture on ebay same company better picture:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEGGE-424...4?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&hash=item27cf936dd4
I do not foresee any problems, it should be a direct replacement for you. The only thing you will have to do is probably shorten the tail (the bit that sticks out the back) of the cylinder. Easily done with a junior hacksaw.
Also there will be a mark on the back of the lock case (the back set). This must be in line with the mark on the part that turns to release the latch but this will be in the instructions.
Teamlocksmiths
DC

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Many thanks. :)

Will either of the two latches that you've linked to so far be okay, or should I be going for a Union 1026 ?

I just re-checked the measurement of the existing lock and the hole in the door and it's definitely 50mm to the edge of the door from the barrel centre.

Bit of a personal decision but the Union is over twice the price of the Legge.
So even with postal charges the ebay Legge is cheaper and I don't think that there will be much difference in the quality.
Just thought with all that corrosion it is worth spraying something like WD40 in on and around the lock case.
Teamlocksmiths
DC

Ta for the WD40 tip. Will do. :)

I'll go for the Legge then (either the first or the second one that you linked to) - despite my backset being 50mm those two Legge locks at least appear to be the same kind of dimensions as my existing lock.

Just a thought though - take a look at the photo here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170986272940

See the brass catch? Does that to you look like it's showing the flat side or the curved side? I ask as to me it looks flat, yet mine is curved on the inside ... the door it will be attached to opens outwards.

All the latches I've looked at online have the flat part of the latch on the 'inside' as seen above, yet my latch has the curved side on the 'inside'. It's hard to make out in the photo but what you see here:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/Dalek99999/PA190549.jpg

is the curved part of the catch.

EDIT: Just took my rusty lock apart and I see that the catch can be flipped the other way around, so is that the case with all locks of this type? If so then that's easy enough (assuming Legge locks have that feature).

Yes I see what you mean. I had missed that, so your caravan door opens outwards, most do. All the back sets that I have been suggesting are sold as an inward opening latch. Most of the Yale (brand) simple back sets can be fairly easily reversed. I do not think that the Legge back set would have been especially produced for caravans with a reversed latch. Take the back off your existing back set and see if will also work reversed.
Teamlocksmiths
DC

Have dismantled my existing back set and yes, the catch can easily be flipped the other way around.

So is it likely that the catch in the Legge can also be flipped?

If not can you suggest a Yale that would suit my purpose?

It's a pity that I can't find any online instructions for the Legge or the 1026 Union.

Thanks.

Best advice now is purchase the Legge version, reverse the latch and install.
Then you should be back in the same position before the old lock fell apart.
Teamlocksmiths,
DC

Thanks.

Thinking about it some more, the actual back set isn't in terrible condition and still appears to be functional, so would it be better to just buy a new cylinder (with key and the brass 'ring' that goes around the outside)? If so, would you recommend any in particular?

£ 9.99 plus £ 4.19 postage is a bargain. I would sell you a Yale cylinder for £ 14.99.
I suspect that it is old stock they want to get rid of. That is why the ad does not mention the dimensions. Most back sets are either 40mm or 60mm.
Buy new and be safe in the knowledge that it will last many more years.
Teamlocksmiths,
DC

Thanks, advice gratefully received. :)

I'll report back here when I've installed it.

Got the lock and fitted it, works a treat. Many thanks for all of your help with this DC77. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back