patio door lock jammed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My patio door is locked and will not unlock at all any more. It used to be a bit temperamental but I haven't been able to open it for the last few years now. (There is another patio door of a different deign in the same room). The lock catch is C-shaped so that when the key is turned it rotates up and behind a bar to securely fasten. When the door is open you can make fine adjustments to the position of the lock in case of movement/expansion of the frame etc. I think the door itself is aluminium alloy.
Once I have opened the door again I can adjust these screwws and all should be well, at least for a while. However, I can't work out how to open it :(
There is a door handle like a vertical pillar attached to a plate on each side that covers the part of the door that conceals the lock body. The lock barrel also goes through these plates. There are 2 screws from one side that screw into a matching screw barrel from the outside. An aluminium ring goes round the projecting lock barrel.
I can remove the 2 screws and their matching barrels, but that leaves the door handle plates still held in place by the ring around the lock barrel. I have tried unscrewing these but they don't seem to be on a thread although they do aimlessly rotate on the lock barrel. So I can move the door handles somewhat - enough to see a rectangular cutout showing the part of the lock body. I presume that if I can take the door handles off I will be able to take the lock barrel out and then jiggle the lock enough to be able to turn the key and open the door.
Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back