Union Oval Cylinder Sashlock - Changing door handle

D

Deleted2797112

I'd like to change the very tatty brass door handle on the inside of a flat door. There are matching handles inside and out, the key lock barrel is on the outside and on the inside there's a turn snib that locks the door. The outside handle and lock barrel can't be changed. I thought I might be able to use one half of a handle set with a turn snib (see B&Q picture). However, I can't work out how to get the existing lock apart. I can take the handle off the outside which leaves the lock barrel in place. I can't get the handle off the inside because the turn snib doesn't seem to come off. I wondered if the lock barrel is supposed to push through from the outside or if the lock on the door edge has to be dismantled? Is there any way of just changing the handle or am I doomed to have to look at the tatty brass for ever?

Thank you in advance!
lock1.jpg lock2.jpg lock3.jpg lock4.jpg

Sponsored Links
To remove the lock - Remove the 2 pozi screws holding the lock faceplate on, this will expose a third pozi screw located in an area where the faceplate reads Parkes, Willenhall, England. Remove said screw and turn your snib thing, we call it a thumbturn, turn this whilst pulling the barrel inwards, you can leave the inner handle on or just loose if you wish it makes no odds.

The barrel you have is called an 'oval cylinder', identical to the more common euro cylinder in terms of how the work but the difference is the shape, now with a bit of googling for oval cylinder handles I'm certain you'd find something, there will probably be some measurements you'd need to match up but the handle details will tell you what they are, you just need to check them against your old ones which you know fit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back