caravan electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,I have a static caravan that I would like to add a couple of sockets to.
1,does the work come under part P
2,Can I use normal 2.5 twin and earth
3,The existing circuit is a radial supplied by a 16 amp supply.Can this be extended.
regards

Sponsored Links
Not 100% sure, but as it is probably not classed as a permanent structure I would doubt it is covered by building regs so therefore part p either, but brit standards & electrical regs would still apply to any electrical instalation. How is the existing electrics distributed( consumer unit?) & what size cable does the current radial circuit have?

There is a meter and fuse out side the van which connects to the van via a round cable and a round socket,similar to a tow bar connection if you know what I mean,this connects inside to another small consumer unit with fuses for lights and a radial circuit.The existing cable I now remember is 2.5 twin and earth .

I do not think you will have any problem adding a couple more sockets , you must ensure however that they are securely fixed & the back of the boxes cannot be accessed, be careful where you instal them.

Sponsored Links
Wiring a caravan during it's conversion to a mobile first aid post I found a whole section in the regs relating to caravans and if I recall correctly there was no distinction between mobile and static.

Three points stick in my memory.

The protection of cables had to take into account vibration.

The metal skin of the caravan had to be given special consideration as regards earth bonding.

The earth supplied from the meter should not be trusted.

Thanks for the replies,Bernard,if I knock a copper earth rod into the ground and earth the caravan chassis to this would that be okay as a backup to the supplied earth from the meter

Fitting a good earth rod and an effective RCD was the method I used to ensure the metal frame of the carvan and ground were the same potential. I did not feel it safe to rely on the earth in the cable or on source of the power feed.

Bu that was several years ago and regulations may have changed, the best I would think from modern day regualtions would be a TT type supply with a good effective ground rod.

skimming the relavent section in the regs..

4mm² earth bonds in multiple locations to the body of the caravan if the earth continuity of the structure cannot be certain

double pole breakers..
608-04-01. each final circuit shall be protected by an overcurrent protective device which disconnects all live conductors of that circuit.
they consider neutral to be a live conductor.

608-06-02 the cross-sectional area of every conductor shall be not less than 1.5mm²

608-06-06 No electrical equipment shall be installed in any compartment intended for the storage of gas

IIRC you are also required to use flex or stranded singles in conduit rather than T&E

As feared the installation for a caravan is more complex than a domestic

The requirement for douple pole RCD and CB in caravans is to reduce the risks associated with possible incorrect polarity at the caravan pitch supply point - see IEE GN 7 special locations Chapter 8 which goes in to more detail of the risks.

As Coljack mentions, the need to treat the neutral as possibly being live is necessary hence double pole breakers are needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back