Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a carbon Monoxide alarm in the house. I keep it there even though my cooker is electric and so is the water heater. There is a gas fire, one of those portable ones but it hasn't been on in a few days.
I plugged in my iron to iron a shirt and the alarm starts beeping. 4 beeps at regular intervals. That to me suggests the carbon monoxide alarm detecting dangerous levels. Christmas eve of all nights just before we leave the house.
I have opened the windows. But in 10 minutes we are leaving.
I have changed the 2 AAA batteries in the device, which is only 7 months old, but I've changed them anyway, and pressed the test button and it seems to be fine. It has not beeped since.
Any tips? Can an iron cause a false alarm? Worried sick here.

Sponsored Links
I would like to think if it was an alarm condition it would give a continuous alarm

Read or download the manual, it’ll tell you what the beeps mean. Certain other things can set an alarm off, they’re not suited to humid areas, so depends on how much steam is produced by the iron. Where is it positioned? Could it be anything else (if it is an activation), such as car fumes, migration etc?

Sponsored Links
I changed the batteries and put it back up. A half hour later, when we had left the home the alarm started sounding again. A neighbour called me. I went home and removed the batteries and decided to take the item with me to my friends house. When I got there, I put the batteries back in and 5 minutes later the alarm started going again. I guess that means that the device is faulty. Granted, it was a low price alarm. The only gas we have in the home is the portable heater which hasn't been used in a few days. I was sure it was going to be that. But since it reacted the same way in my friends house, I guess it is just faulty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back