Smoke/heat alarm in kitchen with woodburner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm struggling to work out the right alarms to fit in our new extension - we have a large kitchen which has a woodburner fitted, I know we need a carbon monoxide alarm but not sure what to put with it. Our plans say a heat detector but looking online they say not to install in a room where the temp may go above 37degrees which it probably could.

I don't really want to install a smoke detector in there due to false alarms - are there any other options?

Sponsored Links
"Rate-of-Rise" type fire detector. These detect and react to how fast the temperature rises so are able to withstand fairly high room temperatures but respond to a rapid rise such as when a fire actual starts.

http://www.texe.com/uk/products/range/fire-detectors/

to give an idea, optical ones will trigger when you burn the toast so not ideal for a kitchen.

The others should be okay, but you expect it to get over 37oC, which you will find unbearable in which case the rate of rise isnt suitable and the other 2 are.

You can read more about the, from the data sheets etc.

Thanks that's really helpful.

I think we will go with a heat detector and carbon monixide alarm in the kitchen and then smoke detector upstairs.

Do we have to put smoke alarms in all the bedrooms or will one in the central hallway suffice?

Sponsored Links
Do we have to put smoke alarms in all the bedrooms or will one in the central hallway suffice?
That's entirely up to you! You don't have to fit anything at all!! Usually, the hall and landing are sufficient. It you have three or more floors, you do have to fit one on every landing.

If you think that it is likely that a fire will start in a bedroom, fit detectors/alarms in there too. Or if the bedrooms are a long way from the landing (so that ithe landing alarm wouldn't wake you) and you are using interlinked alarms. However, at this level of complexity, it may be worth fitting fire detectors to your intruder alarm or considering a proper fire alarm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back