Alarming advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a noob query (like most of mine on here, actually) but I'd like some advice on smoke alarms.

We've just moved into a new house in which there is a smoke alarm on the landing that is connected to the intruder alarm. This seems to do the trick (thankfully not had to use it!) but we'd still like some independent smoke alarms installed.

Our electrician quoted us £200 to have 2 smoke alarms wired in to the electrics. This seems a heck of a lot, so instead we're planning to get a couple of battery-powered smoke alarms.

I had a look online but was dazzled by the choice! When did there become so many options? Ionisation... Photoelectric... Combination... Heat alarms... etc. There didn't seem to be a clear idea of what to go for, with pros and cons for each. Also, when did they become so expensive? They seemed to be £15-£20 each! (I remember when they were just a fiver etc. etc.)

Therefore, I was wondering what you recommend? We definitely want 2 - one in the hallway, and one on the landing, but other than that, we're not really sure!

Also, we're thinking of getting a carbon monoxide alarm. Our gas boiler is outside in the garage, but we have a gas fire in the living room. Should we get an alarm for the living room? Should we get a combination one with the smoke alarms? I've heard you should put them where you sleep... Again, any advice?

Sponsored Links
Talk to the Fire Prevention Officer at your local first station. The source of best advice and in some areas free supply and fitting of alarms.

Go for the more expensive optical/photoelectrical type (rather than ionisation) as they are much less likely to false alarm from burnt toast, steamy showers, draughts, etc. Rate-of-rise heat detection is useful too.

Sponsored Links
Our electrician has now revised his quote for the 2 smoke alarms to £160. Still seems a lot to me.

Other than not having to replace batteries, is there any other advantage to having a smoke alarm that is wired into the electrics?

The wired ones are now generally interconnected (ask) which puts the price up. The big advantage is that a fire detected by one alarm will cause the other to sound. So for example if one is in the kitchen, and the other in the landing, you will probably be woken if the tumble-drier goes up during the night, or something has been left on the cooker, as occasionally happens.

I also have one in my integral garage (car, petrol, oil, paint, white spirit, barbie charcoal, etc)

£160 is NOT a lot of money if it saves your life and your home ! Price of mains cable plus smoke alarms plus fuse of mcb plus doing a certificate for the work

I take your point about the cost, but I'm not comparing £160 with not doing anything at all.

I'm comparing £160 with £40-ish for battery smoke alarms.

If the battery smoke alarms will do the same job, I'd rather pay a 1/4 of the price.

will your battery alarms be interlinked?

Fast asleep, early hours of the morning, went to bed tired - don't expect, or rely on, hearing the downstairs one!!

Also having spent some 20 odd years in the fire brigade I can assure you replacing batteries is not high on many householders agenda so anything that saves this is worth a bit of extra money.

since smoke and heat will rise, the landing ceiling is the correct place, but what is the point of one in the downstairs hall?

why not have one near the kitchen where fires are most likely to start?

since smoke and heat will rise, the landing ceiling is the correct place, but what is the point of one in the downstairs hall?

why not have one near the kitchen where fires are most likely to start?

The downstairs hall is adjacent to both the kitchen and the living room so it seemed a good place to cover both rooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back