Carcassing for stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to build a stud wall between two rooms. Its 3000mm, with no load bearing worries. I can screw into joists above and below easily. The question I have is what sort of carcassing wood should I use - I was thinking of 75mmx50mm (or 47mm), with 400mm gaps between studs. I have seen CLS, regularised, etc all used in terminology for carcassing - not too sure what it all means, so happy for some assistance.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
3x2 @ 450mm centres is fine, add a few rows of nogging and dont forget to insulate it

12mm plasterboard screwed every 200mm

I’d use 4x2 regardless; cost difference will be negligible & will make a much sturdier stud wall. 450mm centres will be a problem with full size 1200 x 2400mm boards which I would always advise rather than the DIY size; id so, studs at 400mm with intermediate horizontal noggins, screws rather not nails. 12mm boards screwed @ 200mm as advised but if there is a loo involved anywhere, you must use “Wallboard 10” or “Soundblock” as well as the insulation, 25mm mineral wool minimum but I use cavity batts fixed with spray on adhesive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back