Insulated Stud Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a non-load bearing stud walls close to stone gable walls as part of an old house insulation project. Total thickness 87.5mm incl. plasterboard on one side

Questions:

1. What are my wood options: carcassing rather than CLS?
2a. 75mm stud + 75mm insulation + 12.5mm plasterboard
OR
2b. 50mm stud + 50mm insulation + 37.5 insulated plasterboard overlay

Sponsored Links
1. Carcassing, whilst generally cheaper than CLS, can be extremely variable in quality, roughness and straightness. At least when CLS arrives it is straight and not twisted and has the additional advantage of no splinters and eased edges, so less hand cuts

I'd go for 2a, especially if using (non-flamable) mineral wool as opposed to Cellotex. Also has the advantage of better sound deadening. Mineral wool batting sawn to fit between the studs is easy enough to install.

Does 'close to' mean touching? If so, tanalised timber may be better.

A variation of 2b for me. Insulation between and over is always better as it prevents pattern staining from the cold bridge of the timber. Avoid any cavities, and foil backed insulation board such as celotex is twice as efficient as any quilt or any insulated plasterboard.

Does 'close to' mean touching? If so, tanalised timber may be better.

A variation of 2b for me. Insulation between and over is always better as it prevents pattern staining from the cold bridge of the timber. Avoid any cavities, and foil backed insulation board such as celotex is twice as efficient as any quilt or any insulated plasterboard.

Thanks Woody. So you would use 25mm celotex overlay (or equivalent) plus separate plasterboard? (as opposed to 37mm insulated plasterboard).

For plasterboard support then maybe also need dwangs at 1.2m to minimise any lack of support from being 25mm away from any studwork at 400 centres?

Sponsored Links
Celotex is more efficient than the styrofoam on the back of insulated board, and it's actually cheaper too.

600mm batten centres will be fine for 12.5mm boards with no intermediate timbers. Everything is pulled in tight when the boards are screwed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back