Card reader ?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will start of by saying that the term "computer savvy" and I are not on the same planet. I am trying to upload pictures from my digital camera using the card reader. I'm using Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 and after inserting the card it states nothing found. I have a Packard Bell Easy Note TJ65 with Windows 7. Thanks for any help .....

Kev ...

Edited. I have uploaded pitures direct from my camera (Nikon Coolpix 4600) using a USB cable no problem ...

Sponsored Links
I have uploaded pitures direct from my camera (Nikon Coolpix 4600) using a USB cable no problem ...

Try doing the same again and see if it recognises the camera and the pictures.

Is the card reader integrated into your computer or is it one of those external ones on a USB cable?

If internal, put the card in the slot, the right way round and look in Start -> Computer and see if it is recognised there.

Dave. It's an integrated card reader and after clicking on computer, I found nothing there.

Thanks Kev ...

Do you have another SD card to try in the slot to see if the fault is with the card or the slot.

In the mean time use your USB cable to get the pictures onto your computer so that nothing happens to them.

dave

Sponsored Links
Kev,
See if the Sd card reader is showing in Device manager,
Start ->
right click Computer -> Properties -> Device Manager ->
click on the '>Disk drives' to open up the list or drives.
Double click on Generic - SD/MMC USB drive. (or similar name with SD in it)
Click the Driver Tab and click Update Driver.

It will either find a newer driver and update or inform you that no newer driver is available. If it updates, reboot the computer and see if the card is recognized. If so ---Fine. If you have any problems then go back, as above, and click on 'Roll Back Driver' to revert to the previous driver.

dave

Sorry I didn't get back dave, been a bit pushed.

My wife tried what you explained but could find nothing.She has a lot more experience with computers than I do but no time. She said she searched everywhere but can't even find anything relating to the card reader.

I've only had the lap top for a month and a half (Chrissy pres.) so I think I'll take it to the wiz kids at the computer help desk and let them sort it out.

Thanks for your help ......

Kev ....

Is it SD capable reader? I've got a built in reader and that doesn't recognise SD cards either, can put them in but won't see them. Will read others though :confused:

It states that the lap top has a built in multi-in-1 card reader including SD cards. :confused:

It may be that you are using a SDHC card in an older standard SD card reader.

I have found that the two are incompatible.

If this is the case, then you are in a bad place. buy or borrow a new or recent external card reader and try that option. If it now reads the card then para one is correct.

If it doesn't, then I don't have a clue...LOL

And, just 'cos it's a new lappy, doesn't mean it has all the latest hardware inside it....

Dave. Got it !! :D I was having trouble finding the drivers. When I went into Device Manager I opened everything but I couldn't find the driver/s. One of the problems I'm having is translating from German to English but at the top of the list is User PC, right click, take second option, and there is the list of what I needed. I now have a card reader. :LOL:

Thanks guys ......

It may be that you are using a SDHC card in an older standard SD card reader.

I have found that the two are incompatible.

If this is the case, then you are in a bad place. buy or borrow a new or recent external card reader and try that option. If it now reads the card then para one is correct.

If it doesn't, then I don't have a clue...LOL

And, just 'cos it's a new lappy, doesn't mean it has all the latest hardware inside it....
I have had the same at college all the old SD card readers will only work with 2Gig and below. Over 2Gig and they will not work. However the cheap card readers from poundland do work with the SDHC cards and I got a few for other students in class. I would have said it would be marked on reader but my printer says just SD and xD on that slot but takes 8gig cards without a problem. Although slow takes ages to transfer RAW files.

Not tried Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0 but Photoshop CS4 bridge finds them OK. Waiting for CS5 to be released and see if I can get on student licence.

I also found unplugging card and using in card reader has once or twice stopped the camera finding card after. Had to reformat a couple so now I tend to leave in camera and transfer camera to PC. However once or twice I have forgot to disconnect and it has flattened my batteries. Lucky rechargeable.

Sponsored Links
Back