Camera card readers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a product on the market that will read digital camera cards, so I can upload picture/vids on to PC/Laptop?
I have a few different cameras and they all require direct connection via camera and USB on PC/Laptop to download the pictures.
If I place the cards in PC card slots nothing happens, unfortunately one of my cameras has since it last days and buying new would be more cost effective than the repair. But I have pictures stored on the card and cannot now connect the camera.
The camera is lumix.
So any help appreciated in how to download picture from the card.

Sponsored Links
What sort of card is it?

Perhaps getting a USB multi card reader will help?

They are available from Poundland for el cheapo or other stores for better quality ones.

Although I suspect that the reason its not working when you plug it into the PC is perhaps that you have not got drivers installed?

I've used a Lexar 20:1 USB card reader for about the last 5 years. It travels in my laptop bag and has taken everything I've thrown at it.

I think at the time is cost £16 or £18. Kingston offer something similar around the £10 mark.

It's usually at this point that someone comes along and recommends something substantially cheaper. What you buy is your choice. My view was that a decent brand (IMO) was worth the extra few quid. After all, I can rarely go back and reshoot if the card reader causes a problem. 5+ years and no issues later I'm still happy with the choice.

The card is sandisk ultra and the camera is Lumix.
I have always just plugged the camera in via USB connection and uploaded the picture directly from the camera. Unfortunately the camera has now showing up a zoom error, that will not clear, so I cannot now upload most recent pictures. :cry:

Sponsored Links
I am lucky my laptop has card reader built in however I have used external ones the Poundland one worked well but the Traveler 8 in 1 one it would seem will only read up to a 2GB SD card.

My Casio camera needed a firm wear upgrade to read the larger cards and if your using SD then likely it is the reader your using will only read up to 2GB.

However saying that I took some with one of my cameras and I could not find pictures on the card but direct computer link worked I think it was the D7000 which has two 32GB cards which did seem very odd.

It would seem we have four families there are the original Standard-Capacity (SDSC), the High-Capacity (SDHC), the eXtended-Capacity (SDXC), and the SDIO. I would guess the reader your using does not match the card and all you need is a new up to date reader however it could also be that some pictures are being held on the cameras internal memory I do seem to remember when bored and reading the instructions on one camera on how to transfer from internal to card memory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back