Carney electrician jobs in my recently purchased home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

First post, so please be gentle.I am not looking to install this or DIY this myself, I amgetting qualified family members to sort this out for me.

Scenario. Older property, recently re-wired by local cowboy outfit. No certs that I am aware of (didnt particularly care, its all BS anyway and I am getting elec checked before we use anything like showers or heavy current items on the plug sockets).

MOST of the elec from what I can see in the attic space and having lifted a fair few boards seems to be of a high quality, with decent gauge wiring used throught the ring, plenty of space for the insulation fill in the loft space, insulation gaps round the halogen downlights and trannies in the attic. So far, so good.

Until you get to my annexe.

Give you an example. We have 3 CU with RCDs in the house.

The main one with the leccy meter and supply wire from overhead cables

The Annexe has a seperate CU

The garage has a CU too. As per BRs.

Wiring between the CUs however gets interesting. Check this out.

http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae271/mbga9pgf/?action=view&current=IMG_2553.jpg

What you can see is an armoured power supply cable (rated 1000V, best guess diameter of armopured cable is 1/2 - 7/10 of an inch) coming from the main CU and routeing down, along THE TOP of the local soil, through a couple of bushes, up the wall, through a hole and into the back of the Annexe CU.

Now, I am no pro, but I dont quite think this meets part P. I obviously need to sort this, as I regularly whiz over the area (or did) with my new 32Cc petrol strimmer with solid metal cutting blades. Not good ifI mix the two.

I am thinking

1) Ducting along the wall, using a solid ducting.

2).Duct, then bury for the short distance.

3) Route internally to the property, although this is difficult as Part of the property is solid wall, and the shortest route would take it by the shower/bathroom.

4) route in via the main house first floor, through the roof space, then down into the annexe.

The Garage CU is again powered off the Annexe CU so needs to be factored; we also have electric gates powered from the annex and there are cut armoured cables in the garden with associated RCD breakers in the annex. I believe these were supply for the garden floodlighting.

Bearing all this in mind, what do you reckon as a "worst case" peak load? What is the supply cable and the Main house CU rated to typically?

How much to sort this on the open market and how long? Of the above options, which would you choose and why?

Again, I am not on here as a bodger who will end up electrecuting himself or any family members, I am trying to genuinely cost Parts and Labour (and time).

Thanks all, I have some other "interesting" wiring jobs for you all to laugh at on here (such as the cooker cableing not having a terminating junction box, just a length of heavy duty wire with LNE popping out the end.

They HAVE moved all the spots in the wet room though so they dont dangle above the bath,whichI was pleasantly surprised about... (BTW, can I use 240V halide spots and replace the 12V pendant and trannie in a wet room or does it have to be ultra low voltage?)

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Any chance of some more piccies. Where abouts are you (I am not after work) just interested in who the cowboy outfit might be ?

I can feel Ricicle's fear from here! ;) ;)

Why don't you simply get your qualified relative to look at it and weigh it up?

I can feel Ricicle's fear from here! ;) ;)

Why don't you simply get your qualified relative to look at it and weigh it up?

ha ha! Sorry, I might be completely wrong, but am I correct inassuming armoured cable providing power to a property should at least be ducted or buried under a specified quantity of earth?

Sponsored Links
If it is subterranean, yes.

What I meant was that if your relative was doing the work, it would be much better to get them to give you an opinion than describing bits of your installation to us. Ditto pricing and time required.

If it is subterranean, yes.

What I meant was that if your relative was doing the work, it would be much better to get them to give you an opinion than describing bits of your installation to us. Ditto pricing and time required.

They arent coming down for a couple of months; we are restricted as to the time we have at the place and I was gauging how long/how invasive/how costly it was going to be to make the changes.

Pretty skint now we have just bought. We are in the Newent area; I have no idea who did the work, as funny old thing, we werent provided with any official paperwork.

A buried armoured cable supplying anything should be buried to a depth of at least 450mm.

The cable need not be buried at all.

If it is buried it only needs to be buried at sufficient depth to avoid damage due to any reasonably forseeable disturbance of the ground.

The regulations do not specify any particular depth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back