incoming main supply in an outhouse/annex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a supply to a detached dwellinghouse that enters the property via what I believe is strictly termed an outhouse. This outhouse has separate walls & roof to the main dwelling. Outhouse was originally built as a generator-shed and solid heating fuel store. Outhouse now converted to guest bedroom +WC. But one still has to go outside of the main dwelling to get into the "annex".

I believe that the outhouse was chosen for the rising electric main because that is where the original circuits for the dwelling would have terminated (because that's where the start-o-matic would have been). (Could be wrong here - purely guesswork)

However, with a forthcoming re-wiring job, I wish to get the incoming supply repositioned, so that it breaks surface and has its master fuses, meters and MCB's on an outside wall of the main dwelling.

If an outside CU is not possible, I will put the rising supply inside the main dwelling; I will have to rewire the annex as a matter of course

The property also comprises a garage with PIR & workbench socket; presently this is fed subterranean with its own circuit. This is definitely an outhouse!

the whole property is on one phase only.

Questions!
1) the outhouse/annex that I mentioned: is this actually defined as an outhouse?

2)If so, what special regulations might apply to wiring in this location?

3) Is it possible/safe to have the supply & CU outside? I ask this because my mother *thinks* she has seen another property with this arrangement and thinks it's a very good idea...

My copy of the IEE On-site-guide is in the post, so please forgive me for gross stupidity at this point.

Sponsored Links
Meter and CU could be outside in a waterproof cupboard, the meter reader likes it, but there is a risk of pranksters turning off your power for you, or even nicking ther service fuse, however, the final word on this must come from your DNO, as the service feed, big fuse, and meter board etc is theirs. Be prepared for a very large quote, particularly if they don't see it as essential work.
Wiring in out buildings needs to be as good as indoors, and if heavy tools are in use then a more robust instalation (metal box sockets and switches, wiring behind protection of some kind) should be considered as a good idea. All sockets that might be expected to supply anything outdoors should be RCD protected.
M.

SparkyTris said:
Is it possible/safe to have the supply & CU outside?
You're gonna love that when a breaker trips and it's the middle of the night in winter, blowing a gale, freesing cold etc etc, and you've got to go outside to reset it. Meter outside is one thing - CU? Forget it.

My copy of the IEE On-site-guide is in the post, so please forgive me for gross stupidity at this point.
And Whitfield's guide I hope.

And given your background, I'd highly recommend Paul Cook's Commentary as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back