wiring an annex from main house ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am almost ready to get the electricians in and wanted to pick your brains first : we currently have the annexe ( was a stable, now being copnverted ) supplied with electrics from the house. When I get this re wired can I keep this configuration,

Main house consumer unit has a separate small unit for the out buildings,
will the electrician use this or up grade to a bigger supply.

In the annexe we will obviously need a new consumer unit to have all new parts connected is this normal or should I contact my energy supplier and get another supply fitted. If I do that any idea how long that takes.

Hope someone can offer some advice.

Cliff

Sponsored Links
I know it's not what you want to hear, but you are really asking questions which only an electrician who has seen the situation could answer - the answer to most of your questions is 'it depends' (on many things).

What is going to be in this annexe and is it going to be separately occupied? Is is physically separate from the main house?

Kind Regards, John

Oh I knew someone would ask, I only thought to post a topic when art work so don't know the separate rating of the outbuildings.

we are having 5 lights ( including one in shower room)

approx. 12 sockets ( doubles)

electric shower

Electric cooker point

extractor in kitchen and Bathroom

not smoke alarms but heat alarms

Electric water heater in kitchen.

That's it I think.
Cliff

Sponsored Links
we are having 5 lights ( including one in shower room) ... approx. 12 sockets ( doubles) ... electric shower ... Electric cooker point ... extractor in kitchen and Bathroom ....... Electric water heater in kitchen.
What sort of things do you anticipate running off those 12 sockets? Will there be any washing machines/ dishwashers/ dryers?

What you describe sounds not far short of an average house's electricity installation/ requirements. I therefore suspect that you may well be advised that you will need a separate (new) supply for the annexe.

Kind Regards, John

This will be a separate 1 bed annexe, no washing m/c or dryer it's for a disabled relative. If I have a separate install is the work done first then the main electrics laid on and installed or would I need to get the power laid on prior to work.

Cliff

This will be a separate 1 bed annexe, no washing m/c or dryer it's for a disabled relative. If I have a separate install is the work done first then the main electrics laid on and installed or would I need to get the power laid on prior to work.
You would need to discuss that with the supplier before any work started. However, you first need to get the advice of an electrician who has assessed the situation as to what is actually needed, since I am just speculating.

Kind Regards, John

TTC has reminded me that I intended to ask how this annexe is going to be heated.

Kind Regards, John

Storage heaters X 2

as no mains gas. Ok thanks for all the replies I will speak to the electrician coming around in the next week or so and then apply to get another supply fitted.

Thanks for all the advice.
a new supply it is then.

Cliff

Storage heaters X 2 ... I will speak to the electrician coming around in the next week or so and then apply to get another supply fitted. Thanks for all the advice. ... a new supply it is then.
You're welcome and, on the basis of what you've told us, yes, I suspect you will be advised that that is the only real option.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back