Annexe Wiring

C

chrissi

Hi all, new here so be kind......I need some advice about running some under ground cable from my house to an annexe, this I have been told could be done with 16mm cable but 20mm would be better. OK so far so good, now I have read I need flanges or something each end? help !. I was going to connect one end to my 'box' in the house, seperate fuse, and then to a distribution box in the annexe, just so you know , annexe will have kitchen bedroom two living rooms and a bathroom, so more a small bungalow really, what do I need to get electrics to it from my house. Oh and I know I shouldnt but hey. Also can any one direct me to a website where I can crash learn how to wire a bungalow? I can hear you tutting from here.....but this is genuine and any help other than ' get an electrician' etc would be of great help. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hello Chrissi.
It would be unfair to advise you about the work, then find out later on down the line that you cannot get the work signed off.

Have you considered the maximum demand for this new annexe combined with your existing installation ?

My best advice is to call a registered electrician or three, work out the one you feel most capable/cost effective.Then talk to him over a brew and ask what work you could do to keep costs down ? Maybe he will be happy for you to dig the trench or do any chasing etc ?
Sorry if this is not the answer you wanted, just my advice.

Regards
Ed

:confused: BTW The trench will be @450mm, and the 'flanges' are called 'glands' SWA(steel wired armoured) cable.

Hello Chrissi.
It would be unfair to advise you about the work, then find out later on down the line that you cannot get the work signed off.

Have you considered the maximum demand for this new annexe combined with your existing installation ?

My best advice is to call a registered electrician or three, work out the one you feel most capable/cost effective.Then talk to him over a brew and ask what work you could do to keep costs down ? Maybe he will be happy for you to dig the trench or do any chasing etc ?
Sorry if this is not the answer you wanted, just my advice.

Regards
Ed

:confused: BTW The trench will be @450mm, and the 'flanges' are called 'glands' SWA(steel wired armoured) cable.

Thanks for that, I do have a friendly Electrician who has said that he will come and sign off my work once he has checked everything, he has given me some advice but I dont like to hassle him too much, The supply to my house used to feed several caravans on my land, but all have gone, so I am quite sure the supply this end - house - will be ok, Glands !! I knew I had the wrong word, I simply cannot afford to have a leccy do this work, and I figure that with time, eading and some help maybe on here I will get it done ok, and my friend will be checking all my work and indeed if it is ok, and it will be , he has agreed to sign it off so I am not concerned there.

Hi all, new here so be kind......I need some advice about running some under ground cable from my house to an annexe, this I have been told could be done with 16mm cable but 20mm would be better.
You need to be able to work it out yourself.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, I do have a friendly Electrician who has said that he will come and sign off my work once he has checked everything, he has given me some advice but I dont like to hassle him too much,
Then don't do it.

The supply to my house used to feed several caravans on my land, but all have gone, so I am quite sure the supply this end - house - will be ok,
You might be.

Some people are sure that the earth is flat.

I simply cannot afford to have a leccy do this work,
Then you can't afford to build this bungalow.

I figure that with time, eading and some help maybe on here I will get it done ok,
You figure wrong.

The fact that you're asking the questions you have so far shows that you have absolutely no idea of the magnitude of the task you think you'll be able to do. You'll end up asking random questions as you're going along, doing work, as and when they occur to you.

That is not the way to learn everything that you need to know in order to be safe to do the work. What happens if you don't ask about something important because you have absolutely no idea that it exists and absolutely no idea that you don't know it?

and my friend will be checking all my work and indeed if it is ok, and it will be , he has agreed to sign it off so I am not concerned there.
If he really were a friend you would not be asking him to lie for you on official documentation, and if you really were his friend he wouldn't agree, or let you attempt this work.

Thanks for that, I do have a friendly Electrician who has said that he will come and sign off my work once he has checked everything, he has given me some advice but I dont like to hassle him too much, The supply to my house used to feed several caravans on my land, but all have gone, so I am quite sure the supply this end - house - will be ok, Glands !! I knew I had the wrong word, I simply cannot afford to have a leccy do this work, and I figure that with time, eading and some help maybe on here I will get it done ok, and my friend will be checking all my work and indeed if it is ok, and it will be , he has agreed to sign it off so I am not concerned there.

You'll get used to BAS if you stick around. He means well, but has an amazing ability to make well meaning advice sound somewhat condescending :).

DIY rewire can be done - myself and others here have done it. Sounds like you are pretty much starting from 0 knowledge so you have a lot to learn. Sounds like the place isn't built yet, so maybe you have time. Working under the supervision of a spark is ideal, and if he will be prepared to sign it off at the end of the day, fair enough - it's his neck on the line. If you want to show willing and avoid hassling your spark, BAS' second list of reading material is a great start.

I got by with the John Whitfield book and the OSG, but far more imoprtant than that was a lot of time on here with the search function (and the handy related threads links at the bottom of pages). You will find extensive discussion and debate on every contentious issue ofthe regs and every matter of best practice, but read the books first so you know what you're looking for on here. What you will find is that you're given short shrift if you just come straight on here asking really naive questions that show you haven't even bothered trying to read around the subject yourself and are blissfully unaware of just how much yuo dont yet know. Nobody will spoon feed you step-by-step instructions on how to wire a bungalow because it would be dangerously irresponsible. You need to take charge and be prepared to learn what is required.

Good luck.

annexe will have kitchen bedroom two living rooms and a bathroom, so more a small bungalow really, what do I need to get electrics to it from my house
Contact the DNO and have a separate supply installed for this new property.

troll_spray2.jpg

Or am I being paranoid?

I simply cannot afford to have a leccy do this work
Why not?

What about all of the other work which must have been done / needs to be done?
Who surveyed the site, did the design and plans, submitted these for planning and building regulations approval?
What about water supply, connection to the sewers, gas / oil / telephone?
Legal documents to show who has right of way over the access road?
Who is actually constructing this bungalow?

Compared to all of the other works which must be done, the cost of an electrician is a tiny amount.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back