New supply, beefier meter or other options for annexe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We are converting existing garage to an annexe and it needs some electricity. Currently the garage is run off the house's with its own 20A fuse on the main consumer board, built in 1980.

My current electricity supply is 63A. We are having extension and works done to the house after the annexe is finished. This means that the existing line to the garage/annexe will be disconnected.

I am thinking the best solution is to install brand new electricity meter for the annexe - requires calling the distributor to install pipelines and then the supplier to install new meter. Cost of meter installation £115 but cost of new pipelines unknown yet, but it must be expensive they'd have to dig the driveway at least 50 meters from the street, if not more. In addition they said the whole process will take up to 8 weeks!

I was also thinking I could ask them instead to install a 100A supply/meter to the main house and then run a thicker cable to the garage, and when later they start on the house ask them to move the electricity meter temporarily and run a temporary cable to the garage. This sounds like a very messy option.

They also said they want nothing to do with gas (and water) and that means separate arrangements from separate companies. Sounds like a nightmare.

I'd appreciate any advice on this.

Sponsored Links
Further information: as garage/annexe is positioned on the main drive and as I want services to the annexe to enter at the opposite side, I have asked the builder to install an underground pipe running in the same trench as the kitchen-sewer pipe. It is 40mm, primarily for telephone cables, but on further thought, I could ask him to install a second 40mm and then with two of these I could route gas, electric, water and telephone through them. Is that a good idea?

My current electricity supply is 63A.
How do you know?

I am thinking the best solution is to install brand new electricity meter for the annexe - requires calling the distributor to install pipelines and then the supplier to install new meter. Cost of meter installation £115 but cost of new pipelines unknown yet, but it must be expensive they'd have to dig the driveway at least 50 meters from the street, if not more. In addition they said the whole process will take up to 8 weeks!
Given the time, and the cost, and the ongoing extra cost of two standing charges, why do you think it is the best solution?

What does your electrician advise?

They also said they want nothing to do with gas (and water) and that means separate arrangements from separate companies.
Well of course.

Sounds like a nightmare.
Sounds like fairly common stuff which should not faze a decent project manager.

Further information: as garage/annexe is positioned on the main drive and as I want services to the annexe to enter at the opposite side, I have asked the builder to install an underground pipe running in the same trench as the kitchen-sewer pipe. It is 40mm, primarily for telephone cables, but on further thought, I could ask him to install a second 40mm and then with two of these I could route gas, electric, water and telephone through them. Is that a good idea?
No.

40mm would be nowhere near big enough, and what makes you think that the utilities would be happy for their services to share ducts like that? Or even want any ducts?

I would have thought that not following the specifications for the route etc for gas pipes, water pies and so on laid down by the respective suppliers would be a remarkably foolish thing to do.

So what have they said about getting gas and water to the annexe?

My current supply is 60A because this is the fuse rating on the meter. I think this is quite common. When I called them and asked for some more, after a lot of back and forth, he said he'd let me have 100A but no more, and they would come to change the meter. But they'd need me to hire an electrician to "approve" of this ...

I have thought of the two yearly fixed costs for two supplies of gas and electric, but as we will almost be demolishing/rebuilding the house, we must find a solution for the garage/annexe that does not depend on the house. We could make the annexe "primary" and feed the house from there, in time ?

The electricity people are sending over someone in a few days to survey and advise, and I will run all the options with him when he comes over. I have also asked the gas people to send someone over. Talking to the water company was an exercise in futility as they kept me holding for 17 minutes and in the end I gave up. As the water meter is on the street I can do almost what I like with the water so I do not need them that much.

The services to the main house run all together about 50cm underground and they were exposed as we dug foundations right across them. There were two groups of two, the two groups about a foot apart, electricity, gas, water, telephone. I cannot remember what was paired with what. Then they emerge underground at almost the same point in the laundry room.

I would like to have the main point of the services at the farthest side of the garage, I thought digging under it would be a great idea as it is all exposed right now, and save me having to dig out a new trench outside the garage later.

Sponsored Links
dont forget
2 water bills
2 loads off council tax if deemed a separate dwelling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back