Carpet grippers won't adhere to screed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I had a carpet fitted onto a screed. The floor beneath the screed is too hard to nail the grippers in so the fitter glued them down with something similar to gripfill. The carpet had to come up due to accidental damage and when lifted I noticed that a lot of the grippers had already come off the floor beneath. I'm having carpet re fitted but wondered if I should put some kind of primer on the screed where the grippers will go and if so, which type of primer should i use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
fitters often dont ensure the floor is clean and dust free, they want to get in and out as fast as possible

Thanks, so maybe if I just give it a good clean and vacuum that should do the trick?

Could you not screw them down as well, a couple per gripper?.

Sponsored Links
That could work but he broke the grippers into lots of small pieces - not sure why. It would take a hell of a long time to screw every piece in.

By new ones, they're only cheap.

Personally I can't see you getting a good bond on the screed but could be wrong.

couldn't the screed be treated with a sealant where you intend to bond?
Like Unibond and wait 24 hrs?

That's kind of what I was asking. I just wasn't sure if that would maker any difference.

I have stone stairs in my house, when visiting a carpet shop recently and them mentioning gluing the grippers to the stairs I told them nvm I'll fit them myself.
Glue indeed!
The original grippers were down with 3 screws for each one, the replacements will be screwed in again.

walks off laughing at the idea of using glue... what next, Blue Tac?

then a year or so later, take the carpet up and screw the now loose grippers down like you should have done in the first place. :)

They'd managed to nail ours through concrete floor downstairs, was interesting removing them.

Same as skirting boards, mine will always get screwed to the wall..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back