Carpet grippers issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

From what I understand carpet grippers have a standard depth of 11mm.

I had intended putting 2 layers of underlay with a combined thickness of 13mm (long story don't ask..).

I've been told by a carpet fitter that the maximum combined thickness of underlay has to be 11mm otherwise there will be a problem fitting carpet onto grippers - whereas a carpet supplier told me it is okay for the carpet to dip down into the corners to reach the carpet grippers?

Who is right and wrong - and ideally what is the solution with 13mm of underlay?

cheers,
M.

Sponsored Links
having been a fitter for 20 yrs i can assure you the fitter is correct ,the underlay can not be no thicker than the height of the gripper otherwise the carpet just rides over the top of the gripper and does not hook on causing the carpet to move and crease and possibly shrink overtime ,always take the advice of the tradesmen and not the sales person and you wont go far wrong :rolleyes:
depending on what area needs carpet you could opt for sticking it down with the underlay ,there are semi release glues available out there ,ie it stays in position until you need to uplift it but this method is usually used on contract work ,im sure your fitter could advise you further if he as the knowledge ,the glues are made by f ball and he should know this company

It's in a bedroom with wooden floorboards. So not sure if that works with the glue option?

In regard the grippers option, 11mm gripper means combined underlay MAX is 11mm - therefore where can I get grippers which are greater depth, i.e.. 13mm or 14mm?

cheers

If the gripper MUST be higher why not cut strips of hardboard or similar to raise it up. :eek:

Sponsored Links
If the gripper MUST be higher why not cut strips of hardboard or similar to raise it up. :eek:
so you want to raise the gripper by shoving hardboard under it all around the edge ? why not just buy the underlay that fits the gripper because i will bet my bottom dollar you will not tell the difference apart from losing more £s out of your pocket :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back