Carpet loose after stretching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm just in the process of putting down carpet, and am having a little trouble getting it to sit tight over the gripper rods. I'm fitting a polypropylene carpet (not sure what the backing is... either hessian or plastic equivalent I think) over 11mm foam underlay, using a knee kicker to stretch it, and a brick bolster to tuck it behind the gripper rod. Before final trimming, the carpet seems to sit perfectly well over the gripper, but after trimming, it is a little loose, i.e. when you press down on it, it moves a little bit (maybe 2mm).

In the attached image, the carpet on the right side is 'properly' fitted, and on the left side is loose.

As this is the first time I've laid carpet, I am not really sure if this is how carpet is supposed to feel, or whether I'm getting it wrong somehow. (I checked against carpet we had professionally fitted, and that is similar, but that wasn't a particularly great job either).

Any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• carpet1.jpg
    carpet1.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 139
Sponsored Links
Whats this got to do with decorating and painting ??

Seemed to be the most appropriate section, and where others seem to have posted carpet queries. I did think maybe "stairs floors etc" but that looked more about construction rather than carpets.

That said, I've got no replies, so clearly you're right that it's in the wrong place. :) Where would you put it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back