Carpet not gripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I’m attempting to fit a new carpet into a bedroom. First time I’ve tackled a full room, but it’s 2.8x3.6 box so should be as easy as they come. However... I can’t get the carpet to grip to the grippers!

Some info:
  • I’ve put grippers round the skirting with a 6mm gap (seemed to be most popular advice online, however there was anything from 2mm to 10mm quoted).
  • The grippers are the correct way round (angled side total the wall, spikes pointing to the wall).
  • Underlay is 12mm thick (PlushWalk) and goes right up to the grippers.
  • I’ve cut the carpet to about 100mm over on all sides.
  • I’m using a knee kicker and a tucker to try and get the carpet onto the grippers.
  • I can feel/hear the spikes going into the carpet backing if I push it down onto the grippers with my fingers, but it just lifts off again.
  • The carpet is a Super Sublime saxony from Carpet Right.
  • It is 15mm thick (12mm pile).
  • The carpet backing appears to be a woven hessian type with a sort of thin layer of felty material over it (not seen this before, and don’t know if this then constitutes a “felt backing”).
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! I would just get in a pro, however the lockdown means that option isn’t available at present :(

Many thanks!
Robin

Sponsored Links
Underlay is to thick for standard grippers. If using 11mm or above you are best with Geordie gripper or QA premium deep grippers.

that backing is called fusion bac which can be tricky. Maybe double bank the grippers. Which means do another row inside the other one.

Thanks,

That’s really helpful. Are you suggesting that with a 12mm underlay and the fusion backing I should use the different grippers, or double bank regular grippers, or double bank the different grippers?

Also, any links as to where to get a smaller quantity of either of those grippers you mentioned? Difficult to find on google other than a 50m box.

Thanks again!

Unless you get lucky and find someone local who has some you would have to buy a box. I’d go with double bank the normal ones with hardboard underneath them to raise up to meet the underlay height.

Sponsored Links
With that carpet we would yes. We use a speed cat but not worth buying one unless you are a fitter.
I’d say 6mm is to close for a 15mm thick carpet myself. I compress the pile down a bit then measure it. So say it’s 15mm then you compress to 12mm then grippers should be 8mm away.

A final update, and thanks for all the help and advice.

I took the grippers back up, cut back the underlay and fitted a double bank of regular grippers on top of 5mm strips of wood (run off with my circular saw) which brought the grippers flush with the underlay.

I went with the 8mm gap with the skirting, and all has worked out great. Carpet gripped well and I’m pretty pleased with the result of my first (and hopefully only) fitting experience!

Thanks for the online supplier link. I would have got it fitted professionally if it hadn’t been for the lockdown situation. The online price is attractive compared to CarpetRight, however, as a retail customer having somewhere you can go and physically look at and feel a large range is very valuable. I know you can order samples online, but it’s not quite the same. I think it would be a shame if retail carpet shores disappeared because of too much online competition. I’m in two minds though, as I don’t buy underlay from them because it’s so expensive!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back