Carpet over laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My landlord has new laminate flooring fitted a year ago, everywhere, including the bedroom. The bedroom is cold and prone to excess moisture, which I have been trying to control with a dehumidifier.Ventilation is tricky as is ground floor, windows cannot be left open for long, also there are no external fan as it is a Listed Building. There is a Heat recovery ventilation system installed. I have found some green mildews in the bed storage drawers. I don't know how to better ventilate, and I am trying to reduce moisture. I would like to place a carpet on top of the laminate flooring in the bedroom. I think it may help with he cold and the condensation, as I think the floor gets very cold causing extra condensation.

I know is bad practice to install carpet on top of existing flooring, but I cannot rip off the laminate.
Any advice is appreciated

Cristina

Sponsored Links
If you lay carpet over the laminate,even loose laid, there is a high likelyhood in an area suffering from high moisture that the floor underneath will be damaged by the moisture that will collect. You may be better off getting and running a dehumidifier all winter to take the excess moisture out of the air, this will stop the moisture collecting on cold surfaces like floors and windows etc.

dampness on flooring suggests rising damp or run off from condensation from a nearby window as moist air will drop its contents on the coldest surface but at a higher level
this is seldom the floor as the temperature will be several degrees warmer farther up holding lots off moisture and the air dropping onto slightly cooler surfaces below to a level the moisture cant be held long before dropping to the floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back