Carpets on conservatory floors ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DO I HAVE TO HAVE TILES OR LAMINATES ON MY CONSERVATORY FLOOR - WHY CANT I HAVE A CARPET ???
I hate my cold conservatory floor - I,m smashing the tiles up and considering having underfloor heating fitted BUT before I do what are my other options ?? why does everyone have cold tiles or laminates in conservatories ? can you fit carpets ?? or amtico type floors - anyone got any good WARM TACTILE ideas ? - never having freeeeeeziong tiles ever again ...now wheres my hammer .

Sponsored Links
Have what you like - there's no law against it. My only thought would be that you may find it holds the dampness and may make the conservatory smell a bit musty after a while, but no other reason I can think of.

There are a number of things to consider, and they all relate to the harsher environment usually found in a conservatory, although not all conservatories are the same.

Temperature, humidity, and the amount of sunlight all have a bearing on how a floor can perform in a conservatory environment.

Your comfort also has an effect on your requirements and on what type of product would be suitable.

If you want a easy to clean carpet, perhaps consider Flotex.

Or Domestic carpet, consider that wool will fade and be susceptible to moisture and also heat/direct sunlight will rot it.

Manmade fibre would be more resiliant but suffer from the same issues eventually as wool or wool/mix

Stone/Ceramic tiles are super tough, stable, easy to clean, and freezing cold and unforgiving.

LVT like Karndean/Amtico will be affected by sunlight etc, it's expensive to prep and fit and it's cold, it's also fairly unforgiving under foot.

Sheet vinyl is cheap, won't last as well as Karndean/Amtico, but is cheaper to prep and fit and will be slip resistant. It's cushioned and easy to clean, its cold underfoot, but warmer than tiles or LVT

Laminate is hard wearing, resilient to fading etc, it's stable, but cold underfoot.

Engineered Wood is very susceptible to fading and will mark, dent, scratch etc, about as warm as laminate

AVOID SOLID WOOD OF ANY DESCRIPTION.

Go to a GOOD independent retailer and talk to them about the options and benefits and downsides.

Wow thanks crazydaze , brilliant reply will take everything on board . , Just one question , can you get underfloor heating for laminates ? ,

Sponsored Links
Wow thanks crazydaze , brilliant reply will take everything on board . , Just one question , can you get underfloor heating for laminates ? ,

Yes you can. Infact, if you can track one of only 25 retailers that continue to have a Pergo Laminate flooring account, you could buy the Pergo and Pergo QuickHeat System which is superb laminate and a brilliant plug and play floor and heating system. My company had an account up until 30tg December when they effectively pulled the brand out of the UK, before they did, we installed the system in my mother-in-laws conservatory and the system works brilliantly. Easy to install and works a treat.

cheers mate Ive seen PERGO advertised in flooring shops - So I,ll get on the case straight away - Thanks for all your help .

cheers mate Ive seen PERGO advertised in flooring shops - So I,ll get on the case straight away - Thanks for all your help .

Like I say, you will struggle a bit to find it now but if you can track a stockist down its worth it, if they can't advise you re: quickheat let me know and I'll help, in my experience very few accounts sold the product or understood it. We sold a few units the past 12 months and it sells really well in Europe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back