Carport height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a minimum height requirement for a Carport?

I would like to attach a carport to the side of my bungalow, covering some of my driveway.
I am restricted to how high I can fit the wall plate because of the boxes on the barge boards.

Sponsored Links
So how high can you fit the wall plate and how high will that make the clear opening height ? Then compare that with domestic garage door heights.
Regards

Thank-you for the replies.

The proposed Aluminium Carport will be open on 2 sides and the length will be 4.25 meters,
the projection will be 3.5 meters.

I have an electric roll up Garage door that was fitted when I moved here.

The maximum height I can fit the wall plate is 2250mm.
2250 is also the top of the roof height as it fits inside the wall plate.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
So what will the clear entrance opening height be ?
ps where does the electric roll up door come into it ?

Wall plate underside clearance 2150mm with a 100mm fall the gutter side clearance is 2050mm.

The detached garage door clearance is 2000mm.

Edit: To answer the question about the garage door.
The car port will be butt up to the garage door.

Last edited:
You should now have an idea of the clear height where you would drive in to your car port. How does that compare with the height of you car ? 2 metres is a decent headroom to walk under and higher than most cars .

You should now have an idea of the clear height where you would drive in to your car port. How does that compare with the height of you car ? 2 metres is a decent headroom to walk under and higher than most cars .

I drive a Ford Focus which is 1430mm high plus the Ford roof bars and I usually have a pair of step ladders on the roof for work. The car port will be the same height at the garage door opening.

The roof fall will be 100mm over the 3.5 meter projection which should be sufficient to take the rain water away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back