Building brick walls on a concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have a carport (see image here: http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d57/daishancaca/fl007a.jpg ) and plan to alter it into a store room by building brick walls, replacing the current wooden gate and the wooden fence on the side. The carport is on a concrete ground, leveled, and the wall will be arouond 2.6m high, reaching the ceiling of the carport.

A few questions:
1) Can I build the brick walls on the surface of the current concrete ground? Do I need to dig the ground and build a separate concrete foundation for the new walls?
2) Would there be other options of walls (like wood wall?!) that I can avoid digging open the current concrete ground?
3) Is there any related articles on this topic available online?

Many thanks. I appreciate any suggestions.

Eric

Sponsored Links
i would be inclined to dig strip foundations for a wall of that size, unless the floor of the garage was a reinforced raft with a strengthened toe beam.

If just for storage I would be inclined to build a timber frame on a low brick wall, basically an attached shed.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for the suggestions. Then my new questions are:

1) Am I allowed to DIY the digging, for strip foundations? If yes, what machine should I be looking for to dig the concrete ground?

2) If building a timber frame on a low brick wall, how deep the foundation would be needed for the brick wall?

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back