Self Build Brick Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'd like to build my own double garage, mainly due to lack of funds, especially having all the money in one lump to give to a builder.

this diagram roughly shows the layout of my property

house1.jpg

the current garage has brick front piers and lower walls (i.e. a couple of bricks high) and then corrugated metal walls, with some corrugated material for the roof, but i don't know what it is.

i want to demolish the current garage and level the ground, as both the garage and the parking space are at an angle.

then i want to build a brick double garage in their place. it should be about 5mx7m with a pitched/tiled roof

the garden is raised by about 50cm above the level of the parking space, it currently has a block retaining wall with fence panels on top. can i take this retaining wall down and use the garage end wall instead? this would get me a little extra floor space obviously

do i need planning and building regs? or one but not the other?

is it a reasonable idea to think i can build it myself? i would probably leave the roof to a pro

any tips any one can give me?

likely/rough cost of materials? bricks? concrete? tiles?

Sponsored Links
Hey,

If the garage is within 5m of the your house then it is classed as an extension and thus will not require pp if less than 4m in height and not within 2m of the boundary. If it is not within 5m of your house then it is classed as an outbuilding and will only require pp if it is forward of front wall, taller than 4m.

You will require building regs approval for the build, as for actually building the garage it will all depend on your ability i.e have you ever built walls before etc?? Something like this can be done by a DIYer aslong as you are prepared to research and get advice etc. Looking through previous posts may help you to get some advice on bricklaying etc

Hope this helps

R Critchley

it is more than 5m from the house, it sits at the vary back of the property

it is actually on the boundary on 3 sides, one side obviously goes to the garden, shouldn't imaginei'd get anywhere near to 4m tall

i have never done any bricklaying before, i will hopefully get the chance to try my hand at it as we need a retaining wall in the garden, nearer the house
plus my stepdad is a seriously experienced handyman (professional carpenter by trade but is nearly finished building his own house - on his own), so i've always got him for advise if i need it, although he was a little dubious about me attempting it

Sell the lot ,minus the house for a building plot and move on up :LOL:

Sponsored Links
well we've just moved in (our first house)....don't think we'll be moving just yet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back