How big does my brick gatepost need to be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I am rebuilding a gatepost and, as i'm not a builder im not sure how strong my gatepost/wall needs to be.
originally there was a single skin brick wall with a reinforced concrete post.
i want to build a brick post that needs to support
a) the wooden gate as shown on one side (around 1.5m)
b) a low picket gate about 1m wide on the other side (1m high)
so that they wheelie bins can be taken straight out into the street without having to go through the yard.

at the moment there is a double brick foundation wall to build on. I was originally planning just to build a three brick wall (as in thumbnail pic at the bottom ) up to the height of around 12 courses, and attach wooden gate posts on either side. I am worried that this may not be enough?

IMG_20170714_100245.jpg

If not, i was consideriing widening the foundations and building a four brick column with rebar in the centre and filling it with mortar/concrete if necessary.
Is something like this necessary or will my original plan be sufficient?

IMG_20170714_100254.jpg

thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20170714_100254.jpg
    IMG_20170714_100254.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 131
Sponsored Links
I suppose you could frame your question another way; how happy would you be to rebuild the 3 brick version after a few years of the kids swinging on it/wind ripping it open/wife deciding she wants a wrought iron gate versus the minor extra cost/time requirement of building it once as the concrete reinforced version?

I suppose you could frame your question another way; how happy would you be to rebuild the 3 brick version after a few years of the kids swinging on it/wind ripping it open/wife deciding she wants a wrought iron gate versus the minor extra cost/time requirement of building it once as the concrete reinforced version?

cheers, for the reply..I had come to the same conclusion myself. A bit more work now but build it more future proof

Sponsored Links
Might want to remove any existing foundation, dig down a bit and cast a new one with the rebar sticking up out of it, brick round it and then fill with concrete..

Might want to remove any existing foundation, dig down a bit and cast a new one with the rebar sticking up out of it, brick round it and then fill with concrete..

thanks, just done it this morning. letting it set then i will find out if my amateur brick laying skills are any good :eek:

Just pulling your leg after a few beers! If it makes you feel any better, I've just had my "photo or it didn't happen" quote repeated to me in my floor slab post!:LOL:

Just pulling your leg after a few beers! If it makes you feel any better, I've just had my "photo or it didn't happen" quote repeated to me in my floor slab post!:LOL:

ha ha , no problem..i'll have to try it out on another newbie some time (y)

A better one (on site, I mean) is "hey, new guy, I bet you can't lift that bag of cement above your head"

Get someone behind him ready with a Stanley knife

A better one (on site, I mean) is "hey, new guy, I bet you can't lift that bag of cement above your head"

Get someone behind him ready with a Stanley knife

probably even better if done in the rain, i'd imagine :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back