Rebars for brick gatepost: hole size and waterproofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I built a 23-brick-row high 2 x 1.5 brick free-standing gate post bricking in the centre cavity all the way up. I let 4 rows at a time go off for 24 hours before building the next 4. Three hours after I finished it a drunken gang of yobs coming out of the pub at 11 at night pushed it over. My concrete foundation and the bottom 4 rows were fine - still there, level and un-budged. The yobs managed to snap the pier off at the join between its 4th and 5th rows. I now want to drill two holes down right through the centre bricks of the bottom 4 rows and through the concrete foundations below using a 1m-long SDS bit, and insert two 2.5m-long 16mm rebars through them and through the concrete foundation and well down into the ground below before rebuilding, this time concreting the centre cavity instead of bricking it, once the mortar has gone off of course.

Two questions: will holes drilled using a 16mm SDS bit take a 16mm rebar or will they be too tight? Should I use an 18mm bit or would that be too loose?

Second question: I read somewhere that I should waterproof inside the centre brick cavity before pouring in concrete or it will stain the brickwork. Is that right, and if so will a dilute PVA mixture do the job?

Sponsored Links
What about drilling a 19mm hole and filling with resin prior to put you rebar in. Clearly then it wouldn't be loose at all.

Drill as tight a hole as you can and hammer them in. We would be using 10mm rebar. 16mm is a wee bit chunky for such a small area.

Pouring concrete into the pillar will not bother the bricks, crack on.

It seems a small gate pillar, what is going to be holding?

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your advice. Its very much appreciated. I thought 16mm would make it that much harder for the yobs to force it over again. This post will just have the latch for a wrought iron gats. It will be hinged on an opposite old pre-existing corner wall pier which is brick bonded into lower wallsl at right angles to it and is very sound. I'm buiding the new post to the same design as the old one and with the same brick. The wrought iron gate isnt all that heavy anyway- just a lightweight Wickes one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back