Do I need a strip foundation for a new internal wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to build a new wall (brick or block) across the width of my house, the wall will not be supporting anything, and the current floor is concrete. Will i need to dig through the floor and lay a strip foundation for the wall, or can I build directly on top of the current floor? The wall will be about 17' long.

Sponsored Links
MonkeyHunter said:
Hi,

I want to build a new wall (brick or block) across the width of my house, the wall will not be supporting anything, and the current floor is concrete. Will i need to dig through the floor and lay a strip foundation for the wall, or can I build directly on top of the current floor? The wall will be about 17' long.

How thick is the concrete? If using lightweight blocks there should be no problem, as these are often built up on floor joists.

Deluks,

cheers for the reply, I'm not sure how thick the concrete is, but its a 1951 brick built ex-council house if that might give a clue.

Whats the best way of working out the thickness of the floor? preferably without digging a massive hole.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Drill a few holes in the floor to work out the depth of the concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back