Carport(s) - Maximum Size/Number with Permitted Development

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've submitted a planning application for a triple-bay garage to replace a two-bay garage and it's been rejected by planning because I'm in greenbelt (also in a conservation are but with no article 4 in place). As an alternative, I'm thinking of building the two-bay garage with planning permission and then adding one or more carports to the side of it using permitted development (PD).

I've read through the documentation on PD and while there's lots of information about maximum curtilage size, eaves height, etc. there's no definitive details on what the maximum size can be. It's possible to read it as up to the maximum curtilage with the only caveat being building control over 30 square metres and I've read elsewhere that, confusingly, the maximum size would be 10m or 20m or even 30m depending on which source you believe. Assuming I can indeed build a carport under PD, can anyone tell me what the maximum size can be without planning permission and, if so, can I build two separate ones in addition to the two-bay garage?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back